Penobscot 17 rebuild

Melissa Goudeseune

Before removing the old bulkheads, I marked their position in a number of places with a permanent marker. With the new stringers in place, I needed a continuous line, to help with installing the new bulkheads.

I used a laser to connect the dots, so to speak.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a few of the new stringers installed. They're rather discontinuous, for several reasons. I want to be certain that any water is able to drain. It's also difficult to get the new stringers to bend in 2 axes, which would be necessary for them to exactly follow the edges of the planks. Also, I'm doing this one section at a time, as I don't want to remove all six bulkheads at once. So, it's short stringers with little joiner pieces (not installed yet) across the limber holes.

Posted Image

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically, the most challenging part of any project is figuring out how to clamp the workpiece. Once that's figured, out, the rest is fairly trivial ^_^.

I assembled a right-angled frame to clamp to the gunwale, to act as a reference for installing the sections of the new bulkhead.

Posted Image

The first parts cut out were the knees. These are closeups of port and starboard, bulkhead #3, with the 2" thick top edge of the bulkhead temporarily clamped in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The limber holes in the centre section of the boat have also been completed, with a piece of 1/4" plywood to bridge the opening in the stringer. The limber holes will all be coated with S1 Sealer, once all the bulkheads have been replaced.

Posted Image

I used a laser to mark the lower edge of the holes in bulkhead #3. They align with the #3 stringers (counting from the garboard), to leave enough room on the bulkhead to install the cleats for the floorboards.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Test fitting the lower sections of the bulkhead:

Posted Image

Creative clamping for the centre section. There's nothing to clamp against, so I clamped a block of wood to serve that purpose.

Posted Image

The lower edges were coated with S1 Sealer to guard against water ingress:

Posted Image

Partway through the installation:

Posted Image

The final product, resting while the glue dries:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

Moving aft, I removed all the stringers. In most cases, there was no adhesive bond between the stringer and the planking; only the screws were holding them together.

With the stringers out, I sanded away the paint in this area, and then coated the entire aft section with S1 Sealer. This was followed with thickened epoxy and fibreglass, with balsa as a filler along the keel/garboard joint.

This is the keel, at the aft section of the centreboard slot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wondered how to deal with any water accumulation in the aft flotation compartment. It's well-nigh impossible to sponge out any water that sits above the stringers. My solution is to install limber holes within the aft compartment. Any water (or condensation) will flow to the keel, where it can be mopped up with a sponge. So, the stringers will be discontinuous at bulkhead 6.

I used small plywood blocks as doublers, to hold the end of the stringers in place while the glue dried. They were installed with staples from a pneumatic gun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 5 weeks later...

Test-fitting bulkhead 6. It was done in three sections: the knees, and the large section in the centre. There are no notches for the stringers, as the forward stringers were installed after the bulkhead was glued in place.

Posted Image

Bulkhead 6 glued in place, with the hole cut for the inspection port:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Templates for the knees on bulkhead 5:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bulkhead 5 installed, showing the view to the transom:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

The mast steps were modified from the design in the plans. This was prompted by wanting to make the forward watertight compartment actually watertight. My solution is to install a tube for the mast. Next, there needs to be a way to get water out of that tube, which means a drain hole at the bottom. I didn't want it to drain into the forward compartment, so this meant a tube through a limber hole in bulkhead 1.

With all this complexity, I started in CAD. Here's the design for the step for the main mast:

Posted Image

I cut out the parts from 3/4" plywood using my MechMate CNC router:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The layers were then glued and clamped. The old step for the main mast is in the foreground:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the step for the main mast, temporarily installed:

Posted Image

The keel area in the forward section was epoxied and fibreglassed, bonding the garboard strakes, keel, and stem together.

Posted Image

The planking has a fair amount of twist in the bow, so I decided to install a double layer of 1/4" plywood as the stringers in this area. The plywood is more able to conform to the twist than solid wood stringers. Extensions were also installed at bulkhead 1, so the stringers will be discontinuous, as they also were at the stern, providing limber holes inside the watertight compartment.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The template for bulkhead 1 was done in two sections, which were then taped together:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bulkhead 1 was then cut out of 3/4" ply, and test-fitted. The bulkhead now extends to the height of the gunwales, and the deck will be at that level too. With the planking already installed, it was not practical to install the foredeck at the level of the seats -- normally it gets installed before the planking goes on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I wasn't happy with the integrity of the paint on the outside of the hull, so I decided to sand it all off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Approximately 200 screws were removed, and the holes countersunk and patched. These were for the original stringers. The replacement stringers are only glued in place.

Posted Image

The slot for the centreboard was uneven. I marked a new line, using the deadwood as a reference edge. A guide board was then clamped in place, and a router with a guide bearing was used to clean up the edge.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What it looks like with the deadwood clamped in place:

Posted Image

The garboard strakes were joined on the outside with epoxy and biaxial fibreglass.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The wetted surface was also coated with S1 Sealer, except for the area near the centreboard slot:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There were some voids at the stem, and a slight recess between the stem and the planking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I decided to lift the boat sideways, so that the epoxy would tend to run into the joint, not out.

Posted Image

Materials prepared for epoxying: bamboo taped above the correct position, and strips of biax:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The entire side of the stem is now glassed, and will later be painted white.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

I built a Penobscot 14 in 1998. I followed the builders plans and sealed the boat in epoxy. She still has her original paint and varnish. Some varnish has peeled in a few small spots the size of a dime or so. But still looks practically new. Keeping her stored in a barn has helped as well. The mast steps are correct but should be, I believe 10 to 14 inches long and epoxied to the keel. The plans called for a channel cut on the bottom of the step to drain any water that gets in there. The mortise goes all the way thru the step. It is a good sailing boat. Mine is a Gaff rigged Gunter

• 2 weeks later...

Activity has continued through the summer. Catching up on updates, first the centreboard trunk.

I tried templating the CB trunk with cardboard. That didn't work, as it was way too wobbly. I ended up using the intact piece of the old trunk, and added parts on to it to match the shape I wanted.

All this work was done with the boat inverted, as this was the only way to have clear access to the middle of the hull. The template was suspended through the centreboard slot with blocks and clamps:

Posted Image

These photos have been rotated to the right-side-up view; the boat was still inverted during this work.

Posted Image

The reinforcement for the mizzen mast step was also clamped in place, as my redesign of the CB trunk comes very close to the mizzen mast.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The knees for bulkhead 4 were clamped in place, with a length of plywood to span them and give a vertical measurement for the CB trunk. Remember again that this was all done upside-down. The work was confusing, to say the least.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wood rails were glued to the upper and lower edges of both sides of the trunk:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Test fitting the trunk. The gray tube at the back is for the bilge pump discharge.

Posted Image

The inside of the trunk was coated with S1 Sealer (three coats). The mating surfaces of the triangular parts at the front were left bare, for a primary bond with the wood. A vertical piece was not installed at the forward edge of the trunk. I did not want to have any sealed compartments, so a drain hole was installed at this small enclosed triangle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Blocks, covered with packing tape, were clamped against bulkhead 3 to guide the CB trunk during installation. At the aft part of the slot, two wedges were clamped into the slot to guide that part.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The CB trunk with glue applied, ready for installation. Note the rope bridle hanging down with a hook. This was used to levitate the trunk over the boat, and to slowly lower it into position.

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Dad helped with the installation, as it took four hands to lift the boat and then to guide it over the middle of the boat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once the trunk was installed, the router was used to cut the planking to the exact width of the trunk.

Posted Image

Some more photos of the centreboard trunk, from the other camera.

The old trailer winch, clamped to the gantry crane. This was used to levitate the CB trunk into position:

Posted Image

Forward view, showing the guide blocks at bulkhead 3:

Posted Image

The trunk in position. The lifting bridle is still in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Details of the forward and aft sections:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Overview of the boat at this stage:

Posted Image

With the centreboard trunk installed, it was now possible to work on bulkhead 4. This bulkhead is bisected by the trunk, which made fitting all the pieces rather challenging.

The knees were first clamped in place. Then the horizontal pieces were clamped, and the verticals next to the CB trunk. This gave enough support to template the remaining curved section of the bulkhead.

Posted Image

P1180700.jpg

P1180701.jpg

The L-shaped sections were glued together prior to their installation in the boat. As the alignment was critical, I set up a jig for each piece.

P1180704.jpg

P1180705.jpg

P1180706.jpg

P1180707.jpg

Taped blocks were used to spread the clamping load, and to prevent them being glued to the bulkhead.

P1180708.jpg

P1180711.jpg

The lower edges of the bulkhead were coated with S1 Sealer:

Posted Image

The bulkhead, clamped in place. My brother Camille helped with this part (while visiting on vacation).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The view from astern:

Posted Image