CS 17 #284 Update FL 120 71 days and counting

Jim Stumpf

Spent the weekend in the shop and have been trying to get an hour in in the evenings. Rub rail scarfs have been glued, decks are on and have a coat of epoxy, deck hatches are built.

IMG_20120304_091611.jpg

IMG_20120304_091528.jpg

What do you think about the deck battens? Too much? My wife likes them which makes me fear that they are a little gaudy.

IMG_20120304_161204.jpg

What do you think about the deck battens? Too much? My wife likes them which makes me fear that they are a little gaudy

Well you asked for an opinion so I'll give one...a bit too feminine for me :unsure:

But remember...de gustibus non est disputandem.

Cheers

Peter HK

"They condemn what they do not understand". Is that correct? Whilst I might agree...

Latin? Do I detect a Christian Brothers education in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia? I am a St Lawrences boy myself but my Latin has totally disappeared.

DIG

Literally " in taste there is no dispute" though a more accurate paraphrasing might be ...."on matters of taste an argument is not appropriate"

Perhaps the French might say it even better..."chacun a son gout".

You are close to the mark with schools. I did play against St Laurences in cricket and rugby ;)

Cheers

Peter HK

What do you think about the deck battens? Too much? My wife likes them which makes me fear that they are a little gaudy

Well you asked for an opinion so I'll give one...a bit too feminine for me :unsure:

But remember...de gustibus non est disputandem.

Cheers

Peter HK

Peter, Thanks for your reply. I have been looking at these things for days, something is wrong but I can not put a finger on it. Any thoughts on making these more "Manly" :) . I like the idea some protection at the mast steps, I like the idea of a base for a mooring cleat and now that I have flattened the ridge of the deck I need some sort of batten to cover the seam. I am always telling my remodeling customers that it is a matter of personal aesthetics and here I am begging for help. Anyone?

Thanks,

Jim

I just went on a vacation skiing in Quebec. Up there, the English speaking people will say "They Frenchied it up" when a cosmetic enhacement is done with a lot (IMHO too much) of the local style. That is what I thought of. I think the thing about a Core Sound is that it's a modern looking design and that looks something else. But if your wife likes it, perhaps that is most important.

Take Care,

Steve

I think the photo may be miss leading. The stock has been planed to about 5/16" or so and the edges have been radius'd, I think the shadow makes the pieces look much heavier than in real life. As far as the Mrs she only offered an opinion because asked. chances are she will never see the detail from the house were she tends to stay when I sail. For prospective she once asked this about sailing "What is the point?" I love the woman but I return don't get driving 2 hours to Amish country to go on a cookie tasting tour of Amish homes "What is the point?" :rolleyes:

The more I look at the cap it looks a bit phallic, it really needs to be rethought.

As Dave has suggested maybe the collars as a separate perfectly round piece of mahogany with the batten being that, a simple thin narrow batten, maybe of white oak to match the filler strips in the thwart. The mahogany I had in the shop was too narrow for the 11 1/2" seat so I stretched by adding a white oak filler to each side and then applying another strip of mahogany, this accent I like, carrying it to the deck may be kind of cool. Feel free to offer suggestions, the board has been kind of quite and I have a thick skin so don't be shy.

Jim

Jim, while not actually saying I like it - I have seen this treatment before. I am thinking INLAY - though. Can be real slick and elaborate. It's also an exellent way to hide the seam if you are planning a bright foredeck. Would not be that much work if you keep the lines straight. Cut a 1/8" contrasting veneer, scribe it to the deck with a sharp utility knife, rout out 1/16" deep -just shy of the lines, carefully clean out with a chisel or rabbet plane. Glue in with bagged wet sand on top to hold it down while the epoxy cures. Sand flush and you are done. PeterP

Darn it Gordy, Everybody was on board now you show up :D . The collars are the same mahogany as the hatch covers and will darken with the finish. The batten is white oak and I debated whether I wanted to make it inconspicuous or high light it. I opted for the latter to pick up on the white oak strips in the thwart (it was a coin toss). If I had some walnut the darker strip would be cool also, but I am stuck with mahogany or oak. good point, thanks for commenting.

Jim

One of my favorite people taught me long ago that if you have to hide something, (such as a seem) celebrate it! Treat it like a design component you've had in mind along. It looks like you're doing just that.

That said, oak and ash are wonderful woods, but have a workman-like quality in my amateurish mind.

Now maple would be a beautiful highlight if one wanted a lighter wood.

Then again, you already have white oak in the thwart............

Gosh, I love to be helpful!

One of my favorite people taught me long ago that if you have to hide something, (such as a seem) celebrate it! Treat it like a design component you've had in mind along. It looks like you're doing just that.

That said, oak and ash are wonderful woods, but have a workman-like quality in my amateurish mind.

Now maple would be a beautiful highlight if one wanted a lighter wood.

Then again, you already have white oak in the thwart............

Gosh, I love to be helpful!

Oh Gordy you should have stood your ground. :)

This guy came by this eve and kicked me in the head and told me to quit being stupid and hide the damn seam with a piece of mahogany (racing stripe my arse he says) and varnish it so that it disappears. All kidding aside Joe is a retired truck driver with the eye of an artist and sailing skills of an old salt. He is old enough to be my Dads older brother and he never hesitates to speak his mind, it is good to have a friend that can set you on the right path. So the final answer is mahogany and possibly a small decorative breast hook at the tip of the bow to tie everything together. This has been a fun thread thanks to all that have played along and final pictures this weekend, check back.

Mr. Joe doing what he does best, making sure it is done right.

Photo395.jpg