Small boat for inside ICW or similar-mostly motoring but sail backup

Willy Wold

Not sure if this should be here or under designs.

Well, I've had to lower my dreams a lot, from 30 foot, to 22.5, to 19 foot. From big power to a 9.9 and an electric trolling motor. Sailing to mostly motoring and a small sail, if only for stablizing and only if in emergency with no gas or battery left.

I have owned and sailed a San Juan 24, and a 21; which at that time I worked at the manufacturer; 30+ years ago, (and 60 pounds lighter). I've owned a wood sailing boat built by someone else. I have more recently sailed with a friend on a West Wight Potter 19.. 20 years ago. I rather liked that boat for the more simplicity and shallow draft.

Since way back when, I've had some fiberglass power boats up to 30 feet, a couple 20's, a ski boat, race boat and have built a couple row/sail boats with the kids. 1998 was the last time I've been in a sailboat that was underway; and got wet. I recently completed a Mud Peep/Peeper from Devlins design; actually bought the boat in the infant stages of being started and finished up; launched the day after Christmas.

I'm not as physically flexable as I used to be, yada yada yada... Moving into a retirement condo for wife's sake...

Ok, conclusion is after very much thought and measuring building space, absolutely the largest build, considering space to work around, is 17.5 feet. Challenge is also no tarps outside of any shape or color at any time.

Easy build, room for 2 up to a week at a time, but probably only one after the first week (lol)

Pretty safe in the above mentioned environment area; also possibly the mid portion of the Columbia River.

I actually like a Catboat look; also I was staring at a Pocket Cruiser by CLC or Stevenson, with an easily dropped mast.

Easily sailable and forgiving; would probably be mostly motored; however, don't need to break speed records in either mode, just move along at least better than the currents.

5-9 hp; big enough that has a battery charger to keep battery up; small electric trolling motor stored somewhere for backup.

Possibly will eventually have to just purchase one ready to use or something, depending on timeline and health. But I'm for a challenge of at least one more build.

Any ideas?

Thanx, WW

Hi Willy - Welcome!

That's a lot of boat for 17.5 feet. Have you thought of something like Escargo? It could be powered by a small outboard instead of the pedal units and if you have the luxury of only traveling when the weather is nice it might be a fun ICW boat. There's a lot of accommodation packed into a small space but it's still a foot longer than your limit. If your work space has a garage door you can manage a boat that's almost as long as the shop. You'd only need to roll it partly outside when working on the transom(s), so most days the neighbors wouldn't suspect anything was out of the ordinary...

http://www.mission-base.com/pedal-power/pp_escargot_layout.html

Wonder if B&B Yacht's BH19 could be scaled back to a 17 as it was based on the CS17, and has a sloop rig as option? May be able to steal a foot out of the cockpit, and one from the cabin (replacing the quarterberth with two comfortable seats). Or, could devise a suitable cabin for the BRS17, designed as a row, motor, sail utility, and add a simple back-up, easily stepped, unstayed, sloop/cat rig? With the smaller sail rig, a lightly built cabin may not affect stability too much? Might be able to keep the BH19's 7' beam and still get sufficiently efficient sailing? Just thoughts, Rick

Thanks for the ideas. I've seen Thiel's design. Peddling option might be good for some exercize; (or hook up a stationary bike to a generator to recharge the batteries). I'll have to do some esearch and find out what is the smallest 4 stroke outboard that has F-N-R, and a charging system, and can be hooked up remotely.

I have done on the majority of my builds, made several mods; lengths, freeboard, moved this and that here and there. This time however, I'd rather do a no brainer and build pretty much as designed, (shock) so my head can more or less do it in auto-mode rather than sitting there thinking about what I am doing; well sort of speak.

I would want an easily lowered mast; I'll have to re-check but there are a few really nice detour places I've been told that you can go that have some pretty low fixed bridges and rather shallow, so I'll get the clearance and water depth. I guess at the moment I have one eye open for build ideas and the other open to find something already floating. The thing is I can build as I have funds, the other I'd probably have to borrow some funds to pay cash. Haven't had any debts for a while and that feels good, kind of reluctant to go back under; then having to come back into society and the grid to make sure the obligation was paid; not that I plan to be a total recluse.

WW

If you don't find plans to build (except for size, the BH17 sounds perfect) and you start looking for alternatives, consider the Montgomery 15 or 17.

http://www.montgomeryboats.com/home.php

Used Monty's are available up and down the east coast. Figure $4k to $6k for used, depending on age and condition.

A new related boat is the Sage 17:

http://www.sagemarine.us/

A new boat that combines the best features of the M15 and M17. But this is a new design, so you won't find one of those used. Will have to buy a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info. I'm thinking if I have to purchase a boat, I can go a little bigger; low 20's in length. I have always loved the lapstrake design the Montgomery has; but saying that, when I was little and we lived near Cape Cod, I used to sit on the bank and watch a Catboat working, and thought that was beautiful..

My current thought is to save the $$, then make a trip to the East Coast, and purchase a boat around Virginia area, work out any issues, motor/sail to Miami. After that, maybe head back up, or sell boat somewhere, come back to the west side. I wouldn't have the added expense of a trailer and towing.

Takes some getting used to what side of the USA your on. Spending early youth years; 8 years on the East coast then moving "back" to West coast in the early 60's, took some getting used to. Then later, I remember as a watercraft soldier in the Army in Ft Eustis, VA in the early 70's, being on the beach and told to face North, and I was the only one facing the wrong way, as I instintively put the ocean on my left side without thinking... (DOH!)

WW

• 2 months later...