Anyone have experience with Kevlar?

mjshp

As we gear up for the build of the Spindrift 10N, we are pouring over the plans and realized the hull is not covered in fiberglass. The new dink will primarily serve as teneder to our larger 36 foot cutter.

Beaches here in Alaska are noriously jagged and poky. Think barnacles on sharp rocks. To wit we are seriously conseidering covering the boat from keel to just just above chine with kevlar cloth. I realize this will add some weight, but being new to epoxy and glass, I have a few questions.

How do I estimate how much more weight the additon of 4 oz cloth will add to the boat?

What kind of weave should be used?

If you have worked with Kevlar, do you have any tips?

Thanks!

Michael

I have worked with Carbon/Kevlar combination in 6oz. We did it in a canoe/kayak building class I took last summer at the WoodenBoat School. It is easier to work with than I thought it would be but is definitely different from fiberglass. There are two things that are different. First is that it is much harder to tell when it is wet out. It is not like fiberglass that completely changes from white to clear. It wets out with only a very suttle change in reflection which is hard to describe but is definitely discernable. You have to watch it carefully for this change to be sure it is thouroughly wet out. Second, it is more difficult to cut. You need to establish a specific set of sizzors and only use them for Carbon/Kevlar. It will ruin normal sizzors.

As to weight, I do not have an answer. However, it was interesting, in the class we built a 12' stripper canoe and used the carbon/kevlar on the inside. Apparently, C/K is most economical in the 6 oz size so that is what we used. The normal specs for the boat called for 4oz fiberglass on the inside and outside. So per the instructor, we had no weight savings using the 6oz C/K when compared to 4 oz fiberglass cloth. We did it mostly for the education and the 'cool' look. If you are interested further the instructor in the class has written a book you might want to check out at your local library. 'Building Strip-Planked Boats" by Nick Schade.

As a sidelight, I built my Core Sound 17 'Lively' about 4 years ago and did not fiberglass the hull or bottom. I did use polyester cloth on the keel and a small section along the chine where it flops over when grounded. Of course we have mostly sand here in Florida but I have never had any problems with wear and tear on the hull and I pull it up on the sand all the time.

You have to decide whether you want it for strength or abrasion resistance. Polester cloth is very good for abrasion resistance and a hell of a lot cheeper.

Dale

How do I estimate how much more weight the additon of 4 oz cloth will add to the boat?

I'm not sure with kevlar but with fibreglass an estimation of weight is easy. With a hand layup it is usually not possible to get a resin to cloth ratio better than 50/50 ie the same weight of cloth and resin (vacuum bagging/resin infusion can achieve better ratios with much less resin which is why racing boats are built that way). This means you only have to estimate the area you are glassing, multiply by the weight of the cloth and double it to get a reasonably accurate figure. I imagine kevlar is about the same as glass. Some other cloths like dynel and Xynole apparently use a lot more resin.

A quick estimate of your proposal (in metric as I'm used to that) is:

Area maybe 3 sq metres

Cloth weight 130 gsm

Therefore total cloth weight is 396 gms- say 400gms

With resin - 2 by 400 equals 800gms

i.e. about 1.75 lbs

Not a lot of extra weight.

Cheers

Peter HK

I have used 5 oz Kevler. Since it doesn't go transparent working the air out of the layup is a problem. I used fluted/ribbed rollers that are normally used to roll out chopper gun layups but I found the fluted/ribbed roller very handy to work ait out of fiberglass mat that I used to beef up production molds. And the roller did a fine job getting ait out of the kevlar layup as well. Keflar is good, but I think xynole (?) is better for abrasion resistance. Course both xynole and dynel (another abrasion resister) soak up resin like a sponge, so I would go with 3X or 4X cloth weight to estimate finish weight. Even with Kevlar and glass to get the surface filled and smooth the finish is closer to 2 1/2X cloth weight.

Epoxy by itself is fairly hard. In your case I might go with 4oz or 6oz FG on the bottom, say up to the design waterline. That would give more damage resistance and save a bit of overall weight by skipping FG on the sides. My daughter's wood/epoxy beach catamaran just has FG tape on the keel seam and after a year of sticking it on sandbars and dragging her up on broken shell littered beaches I need to scuff sand the keel area and recoat with varnish, but the hull and glass tape are fine.

On a 42' sailboat at St. Marys shipyard I've seen someone do a kevlar cloth with a kevlar fiber epoxy mix, coat the inside of the hull with a thick layer. They had hit floating debrie at night and had damage to the hull below and at waterline. The idea was to make it harder to get a hole/crack in hull again. It was tested in an area with no coating, and coating using a sledge hammer. The kevlar fiber held up really well.

mjshp,

I'm not sure a 4oz layer of kevlar on the bottom will provide as much protection or benefit for the long haul. On a dinghy, your not worried about hitting something at night and getting holed you just want scratch and dent protection for beaching, bumping and the occasional drag. I think a razor sharp mollusk against the bottom will be able to cut 4oz kevlar and thus dig into the bottom. Whats more, once the kevlar is disturbed by rocks or scraping, it turns to fuzz and cannot be sanded (just becomes more fuzzy) You can resin coat it and scrape it flat maybe but after a while you'll have a fuzzy bottom and you'll have to recoat or paint or something. I think I would go for a good 3 or 4 coats of epoxy on the bottom followed by a good solid coat of a hard epoxy paint like Awlgrip or Alexseal. Alternatively what about a 3 or 4 inch by 1/4" thick strip of some UHMW plastic along the keel to take the beating or just the standard SS half round protection.

-Alan

Kevlar has it's place, but it wouldn't be my first choice for an abrasion sheathing, Xynole would be. It's also a lot cheaper and easier to work too. Place HDPE or other sacrificial strips on the hull bottom, in bedding (not glued), knowing you'll replace them every so often and sheath with Xynole. Dollar for dollar and pound for pound, this is a much better route.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A Spindrift is one of the lightest dinghies you could possibly own. It is really easy to get used to having a light dinghy over a heavy one. I suggest you consider not adding any cloth. A good full length chafe strip on the keel and a little care beaching and you really don't need anything more. It's all a matter of priorities, but in my case I really like light weight.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Aleksandr Pasechnik
      I've had a few situations now where I'm in unsteady waters and want to be able to switch my Spindrift 11N to rowing. I've added a topping lift (a simple single line from the top of the mast to the end of the boom) so that the boom doesn't drop into the boat when a release the halyard, but that's proving to be annoying still, since the lift is hard to adjust when there's a breeze and the boom is bouncing around. So now I'm thinking about adding a block to the top of the mast and running the topping lift down and cleating it off with the other control lines.

Part of the goal here is to be able to quickly get the sail out of the way and out of trouble when I need to be rowing. So my theory is that if I add the lift, and then, when necessary, pull the boom way up above my head (30˚ or 45˚ up, perhaps?) then the sail is free to flop and flap about (maybe with some mainsheet tension to keep it towards the back of the boat) but I'd be able to row out of trouble. Is that wrong? Am I liable to end up with a sort of parachute way up in the air knocking my boat around?

Last time I tried to bring the sail down while on the water, the zipper for the sleeve got stuck and then I was bouncing around, and then there was a pier wall, and that was a good 20 minutes of keeping Elsewhere off the wall and upright, pulling myself along to a dock. I'm wondering if a pullable toping lift in conjunction with some kind of line on the sleeve zipper pull would make it easier to get the sail down and out of the way in an emergency. I guess if I'm switching to oars for emergency purposes, I don't really care about getting the sail back up after I'm done rowing to a dock of some kind.

So I guess the question is: how do folks disable, significantly depower, or douse the sleeved Spindrift sail on the water? Do I have to switch to a lashed or rail configuration for the sail? Would raising the sail clew without the ability to mess too much with the other sail controls (with the exception of maybe loosening the halyard and whatever the reefing line can do) make a very tippy boat?

I guess I could also reach the outhaul and the attachment of the reefing line, usually. If I were to replace the bowline knots on their attachments to the boom with some kind of quicker-release knots or pins or something, I could let the whole sail fly free. Maybe add some way of bunching it up to the mast?
    • By Aleksandr Pasechnik
      tl;dr: Looking for learning resources for non-competitive dinghy sailing.

Hiya folks! So I’ve pretty much finished my Spindrift 11N. Her name is Elsewhere and she is red and white and wonderful. I’m sailing on the Hudson River off Lower Manhattan (Pier 40 is home). The Hudson is fun! Salty, a little icky, and a lot ferry. We play chicken, me and the ferries and the party boats and the giant barges. Never a dull moment.

I learned to sail and practiced on a 22-foot-ish bermuda rigged sloop on a quiet little “river” (more of a long lake, really). Elsewhere is much more skittish and “active”. And less forgiving of errors. Like getting the mainsheet caught on a life vest attachment during a tack. That got me in the water right quick, and the fire fighters dropping by to see what the fuss was about. I’m learning all about the nuances of downwind sailing on a boat without shrouds and how crucial line management and tidiness is.

So the question: are there books or other learning resources for the “beginner” cat rigged dinghy sailor? Not particularly interested in racing, but looking to hone the craft of safe and confident sailing. (My heart rate is apparently consistently two to three times higher on the boat than on land =D )

• By ForthBridge
      Hello everyone,

I last posted on here a few years ago.  It's taken me sometime to convince my wife to give up the living room to an N11.

My Spindrift N11 project is called South Queensferry Electron - in recognition of Donald Crowhurst's Teignmouth Electron - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst

Following the usual 'messing-about' convention, here is my progress right up to when I found the courage to saw her in half - earlier today!

Nidaplast is very flexible and I epoxied and peel plied each piece of the hull before assembly.  Bulkheads are carbon fibre and Nidaplast, three layups of biaxial cloth.  A diamond cutting wheel on a Dremmel made short work of trimming excess from the bulkheads and transom.

The hull still needs finishing, as do the bulwarks.  Knees still to fit as well, that's the next job.

So I realise that 6mm ply would have been the best route to go down.  However, prior to this build I had not worked with West Systems or carbon fibre before.  The SQE is a 'learning by doing' project in preparation for the retirement boat.

I will update with more photos as work progresses.  I live in Scotland, the weather is getting colder and less conducive to epoxy use and, of course, I have to give the living room up for Christmas.  Progress might be slow!  However, with the hull complete I can cut out the rest of the Nidaplast components and get the sailing rig ready.

Happy boat building to you all!

Jim

• By William
      For want of a decent local plywood supplier I will be building in 5mm nidacore honeycomb sandwich, carbon outside, vectran and glass inside. If I can get my hands on some affordable basalt fabric I am sure I will find a few panels for it to feature. It is certainly not going to be as enjoyable as building in wood but at least I will get to learn a few new skills along the way. A lighter boat is almost a guarantee, but that all depends on how many laminates will give me the impact toughness I require. 

I do have a partial sheet of nice 6mm ply and will cut the transom, mast partners and a few other small parts from that.

The nidacore sheets are 7ft x 4ft, which, as fortune would have it, is just long enough to cut the main hull panels from 3 sheets, one being halved and butt-joined to the full sheets just like the plans for plywood.

• By Luke
      Hi everyone, this is my first post--I've been lurking here getting lots of good info as I build and finally have a few questions myself!

By now the boat is 3D and wired together. The hull, bulkheads, and transom all seem to fit well, and the boat has no twist in it that I can discern. Measurements from the peak of the bow to the corners of the transom are 109" +/- an 1/8", and sighting down the centerline, the tips of the nesting bulkheads "disappear" below the transom at the same time.

I've made a number of spanish windlasses to pull the sides together between the forward and mid bulkhead, to pull out the 1/2" gap between the bottom and the bottom of the nesting bulkheads, to pull the forward bulkhead forward onto its lines, and lastly to try to flatten the bottom seam between bulkheads slightly to close a gap in the bottom panels.

The question is how much of a gap along the keel seam is acceptable? It goes from no gap at the transom and widens to about 1mm around the nesting bulkheads, and up to a maximum of about 3mm halfway between the forward and mid bulkheads. I think the epoxy fillets will cover it just fine, but I just want to make sure it's not a symptom of a larger problem.

Also, the plans don't really give dimensions to make a breasthook or quarter knees--do I just make these to fit the shape of the hull as it stands now? The instructions say the breasthook (included with the kit I suppose) is important to ensure the bow takes the correct shape--so what gives? The sheer lines look nice.

Lastly, I centered the kerf gap of the nesting bulkhead on the "center frame" lines running down the sides--is that correct?

Thanks!

Additional photos

Looking aft:

chine

bow and gap

forward bulkhead

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.