A little more mast progress

Jim Stumpf

Jim,

I made plugs like yours out of pressure treated wood and they swelled ( swolled?) and I had a heck of a time getting the mast out. I made plugs out of thick plastic similar to a cutting board and they worked wonderfully and also allowed the mast to rotate a little easier. In fact, if you cover the mast step with the same material there will be almost no friction. I used two different sized hole saws, going partway with one until the pilot bit showed and then put the other pilot bit in the hole from the other side.

Jim,

McMaster Carr sells HDPE up to 4"thick. I bought a square foot of 1"stock and cut out my plugs, and socket for the mizzen on a Shopbot CNC, this let me leave a "lip" that allows a clean base which fits into the socket and allows complete, easy rotation...

post-539-0-01960300-1324078003_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-02832400-1324078015_thumb.jpg

post-539-0-88961800-1324078026_thumb.jpg

Jim,

After speaking with Graham about this I decided to get the rake angle determined, secure the mast step to the keel batten, and then pour an epoxy/graphite mix into it.. This way I have an easily replaceable surface if there is ever any wear.

By the way in the first picture above you'll see that the first plug does not have a "step" on it. That one will go in the bottom of my main mast tube , and I suspect that an HDPE to HDPE "bearing point" will outlast me.....

Gordy and Docpal, thanks for the valuable input.

Spent some time in the shop today, and picked up my sail track.

First task: how to line hardware up on the mast without it ending up like a barbers pole. This worked pretty well, I clamped the pipe so that it could not rotate. Made plumb gauges for either end and used the plumb bob to make marks fore and aft on the mast then pulled a line from top to bottom for a strait reference. I also glassed up the ramps for the sail track. If anyone is having trouble with the muddy description above I will be more than happy to elaborate, I hope the pictures will tell the story.

Thanks for looking,

Jim

IMG_20111218_132512.jpg

IMG_20111218_142325.jpg

IMG_20111218_142415.jpg

IMG_20111218_162223.jpg