28 foot Crusier

Scott Dunsworth

Ken I am screwing the strips down to a plastic coverd plywood table. Lining up the matching strip and screwing it down. After I have about 14 strips glued and screwed down so they can't move I ether do another 14 on top of them or just clamp over the scarf with a long board. Plastic between layers of course.

Scott

I should finish striping the bottom of my tub tomorrow. It's been interesting, especially as I got to the bottom end of the bow. I thank Kyle for giving me the tip about the heat gun to make the strips do what ever I needed them to do. I will try to post a update tomorrow some time with some pic's :) :) :) .

Scott

Well I didn't get the bottom done. Life kept getting in the way. I used the last of my strips yesterday and am about 100 board feet short. I'll order some more cypress today. After stripping most of the hull, 1 1/2 inch wide strips would have worked the best overall. I had some strips cut at 1 1/4 and the rest at 1 3/4. Hope to start milling my strips for the deck shelf this weekend.

We have had some really warm weather the last couple of days so we worked on the stripping for the last two days pretty hard.

In the center, I am within about 10 inch's of closing up the bottom on each side of the keel. The bow took way more time than what I thought it would. But it does look sweet.

The bottom of the bow didn't look right as we were laying the planks. The second and third frame just didn't look like the shape was right as the strips were going on at an angle. I took a lot of time trying to figure out what was going on, then decided, the frames were made to specs, just trust Graham's work. As the bow closed up all was well and it looked sweet.

With all of the strips curving up, the angle of the stem and keel, the twist of the strips, there was just so many things to catch your eye that it made it difficult to see the real profile of the hull.

If I had the deck shelf in and more strips we would be able to finish stripping in one more day :)

I guess theres no real hurry because we have to wait till the weather stays in the 60's and 70's to fill the gaps.

Thanks Rick, let me know how your first sail in my ( sorry I mean your ) Belhaven goes.

I got 24 more strips put together today and will try to close up the bottom tomorrow.

It wont be till next fall but I have been trying to figure out where I will build the head-shower, aft or forward. If I put it aft it will probably close any chances of having a nice wide aft bunk. If I put it forward next to the V berth it may interfere with the standing head room to be able to walk into the V berth area. Maybe not. The V berth will be 8 feet wide at the aft bulkhead. I'll just have to see if there will still be room to walk by without turning sideways. As for the shower my brother gave me an idea how to use a solar shower for hot water. If I buy three of them and keep one strapped on the roof above the shower we can change it out when depleted. Three would give us showers for a week. All I would have to do is fit the boat and the solar showers with a quick disconnect. I have no problem with showers in the cockpit but my wife doesn't share this. I learned a long time ago if she is reasonably happy so am I. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I keep talking about closing up the bottom of this boat and NOT getting it done. I have got the port side closed up to the center line and the wood milled for the deck shelves ( guess what more scarfing ) :) I went to the keys for two weeks helping my brother move a new to him 37 foot trawler to his berth in Mangrove marina. That was fun and the first time I had been to the keys. It had nearly a four foot draft so I got a little taste of what I'll be dealing with on our new boat. I really think the four foot is as deep as I would ever want down there. The crab pots were everywhere from Fort Myers to his new berth. We even had a hard time finding a place to anchor where we wouldn't end up with them wrapped up all over the boat by morning. It was fun but I know a trawlers not for me. :) Anyway I hope to get back at it after a couple of small jobs this week.

Scott

Looking REALLY good Scott.

Just looked back over the thread and in regards to the WBF- I don't even have the link in my favorites anymore. Stopped even bothering several years before I retired from wooden boat building and left to go cruising. Wonder what the reaction was when Graham won the design competition with Marissa? :D:rolleyes:

Charlie I look through the magazine at the book store but haven't bought one for 5 years now. I think the magazine is changing and including much more wood composite boats and articles. When I look back at some of the old issues and then the newer ones you can see the shift happening. It has to happen for the long term survival of the magazine.

Traditional boat building will never be gone but it will, if not already be cost prohibitive in the future for most people. Composite boats will be the future whether the WBF likes it or not. I think most of the folks on the WBF understand this and embrace it, but there are some that will never mix a pot of epoxy.

Scott

Epoxy? You mean "googe" :P

One guy there really set me on edge. Cleek I think was his name. Knew EVERYTHING about everything .

I have about 20 years of WB mag out in the shop, including Vol I, # 1-4. So used to read it all the time. And you are right- they HAVE to accept the composite boats, or die.

I built 12 boats in the 10 years before I retired, all composite, and all still going strong. Plus my 35 foot West sys, cold molded trimaran is still passing insurance surveys, and it was launched in 1981 ( or 82 B) )

By the way- materials are in house for another of Graham's MiniPaw dinks (for me) Should start on it in the next few weeks.

And again- looks like a nice job you are doing- would love to see her sail.

Congratulation on the new build Charlie.

Know it alls use to really get under my skin, not anymore. Sometimes there may be something in what they say that's valuable. A lot of the time they don't even know why they believe something they just heard something somewhere and pass it along as the Gospel. An old man I used to work with put it this way; Keep the meat and throw out the bones. Once someone thinks they got it all figured out they no longer have room to learn anything.

I guess I better shut up or everyone will figure out how dumb I am!!!!

Scott

Got my tub closed up this morning, I'll post a few pics tomorrow. Heard today that my wood suppler got wiped out by the tornadoes a few weeks ago. Hope its not so he is a really good guy. I'll check on him Monday. Hope to start installing the deck shelves Monday. I still plan on glassing the hull by May 1st.

Graham I'll need the prints for the keel and skeg sometime in May. :) :) :)

Scott

• 4 weeks later...