Curlew build...

woodman

Looks like some adjusting is needed. I wouldn't think the stern top should stick up 1/4'' above the frame?

post-2067-0-59019600-1320668222_thumb.jpg

Measure from the bottom of the slot to the top of the stern piece. It should be 1" from the bottom of the slot to the top of the stringer and the rear stern. I try to make them the same or the stern piece a little lower than the stringer so that you have a smooth transition.

Something else to watch is when you add the Gunwales you will almost certainly need to shape the edge of the stern to get smooth transition there. The gunwale are angled and since the stern is cut square that will leave an ugly bump when you skin. So I take a rasp or plane and shave it down to get a smooth transition.

Jeff is this what you are talking about here?

post-19-0-13641400-1321653317_thumb.jpg

I got the frame coated with linseed oil...nice how all the wood has a gold tint to it..brings that white birch more closer to the cedar color... it sure soaks it up...is one good coat enough?

I guess tomorrow I'll wipe it down with a clean rag to see if their is any residue..

Well the foot rests arrived today.... so I can work on those brackets....

And the seat I have been transfering between my boats I want to use...being it costs $150..

post-2067-0-39226200-1322086877_thumb.jpg

post-2067-0-85578000-1322086890_thumb.jpg

post-2067-0-81246500-1322086903_thumb.jpg

I have some 1/16'' X 1 1/2''X1 1/2'' aluminum angle I bent at the 30 deg. angle I will bolt to the gunwale stringer for the seat mount..

post-2067-0-77084400-1322087103_thumb.jpg

The seat backrest straps can be clipped onto the coaming

Ha, the seat cost more than I well have invested in my whole boat! Well I well go over that if I buy the footrests and I can't readily see a way to build them for cheaper than they cost. I have an inflatable seat for my inflatable kayak but I think it will sit me too high in the kayak. I well probably sit on a piece of foam for a while.

That seat looks mighty tall for that boat from what I can see in the photos. 1/2" of height can make a BIG difference in the stability and this boat is not going to be anywhere near as stable as what you shown you have built. You want your bottom as low as you can get it. Maybe you not as high as it looks in the photos but from what I see I seriously doubt your going to be able to paddle with that seat.

The seats I use are about 1/2" thick ? No more than 1" for sure.

I built a toothpick of a boat that I really struggled with. I could paddle it but it took all my attention to keep it upright. I was sitting on an old type writter pad. They are maybe 3/4" thick. I could remove that pad and just sit on the floor boards and the difference was night and day! It went from a wild ride to a manageable unstable ride. I was stunned at how much that little bit of difference made in the stability of the boat.

Ok I laid a straight edge across the top of the gunwale chine to get a depth measurement of the lowest part of the seat while pushing down pressure against the seat...Took the seat out and measured down to the same area of the bottom floor board and my seat is 1 1/4'' up from the bottom floor.

I now realize how critical this is, being the floor is 1'' above the water...

Unlike a wood boat.. my seat would have no problem in the Chesapeake 16 which has a beam of 23.5''