Curlew build...

woodman

OK I made frame patterns out of some scrap 1/4'' ply and then laid out the frames on a sheet of Baltic Birch...

post-2067-0-60647500-1320179932_thumb.jpg

I have the pencil work done on the frames just need to band saw them out....

After seeing how narrow the cockpit really is this kayak is dwarfed by my other ones I've made, the narrowest being 16' X 28" (pictured on a scale weighing 40 lbs.)

post-2067-0-35827100-1320181712_thumb.jpg

You know I was going to build a cedar strip Chesapeake 16..... But these boats you have designed are ausome...And after laying out the frames I realize just how much time and thought has gone into this..A lot of work went into designing these boats....and the book....

Now with a question on where the feet rest.... should the floor extend out to the 6th frame (counting from stern to bow) Where does you're heel rest.. on the keel? Looks like it gets pretty cramped up front

I can't answer your question, but very glad you are posting your build. I have the frame patterns drawn out, but I did them on poster paper. I plan on cutting them out and then tracing them onto plywood. I have a question, is the Baltic birch plywood the same as they sell at a big box store? I can get that where I live but don't know if it is useable on something like a boat. Is the glue water resistant? If I want marine plywood I have to drive 230 miles to get it. I won't be doing that until Thanksgiving.

As for the cockpit, after I drew out the frame for making the cockpit coaming on I measured my butt to make sure it would fit through. Looks pretty small, but I have about 2" on each side.

I know ...this style of kayak is tight..like getting into a go-cart or something...

The Baltic Birch I got comes from a wholesaler that caters to cabinet shops and it is in a 5'X5' sheet....I have put test pcs. submerged in water for weeks at a time and pcs. outside in the elements..they have not delaminated.....

Now with a question on where the feet rest.... should the floor extend out to the 6th frame (counting from stern to bow) Where does you're heel rest.. on the keel? Looks like it gets pretty cramped up front

If you run the floors out your feet are going to be very cramp! I let my feet rest on the skin. Before you ask there is no problem with that. I will sometimes add a thin foam piece just to rest my heels on. But they usually end up going AWOL so I have not bothered to replace them.

I have a question, is the Baltic birch plywood the same as they sell at a big box store? I can get that where I live but don't know if it is useable on something like a boat.

As for the cockpit, after I drew out the frame for making the cockpit coaming on I measured my butt to make sure it would fit through. Looks pretty small, but I have about 2" on each side.

True Baltic birch will come in 5 x 5 sheets and it is only made in Russia (as far as I know). If it is 4x8 it is not BB. From what I hear some big box stores in some areas do carry true BB. If is just says birch is probably poplar core with a THIN birch veneer.

Skip the Lowes and Home Depots. Look for a wholesaler that supplies the cabinets shops. Most will sell to anyone if you come pick it up. That is a good place to find BB plywood. I have to drive 2+ hours one way but I am really impressed with Baltic Birch. It is actually better than the marine grade I was getting.

Well. they look good to me, Woodman. I haven't cut mine out yet because it well be a couple weeks before I can get plywood. I have ti go 230 miles and it well be Okoume. I'm going to try to fine some baltic birch but not sure I can. In the mean time, I need to build a strongback. The only thing I can find around here straight enough is plywood! Even the 2X6s in local stores are way too crooked.

Woodman, I have to ask, I was looking more closely at the picture of your frames and if you start at the bottom of the picture and count up, it looks to me like frame 3 is smaller than frame 2. It may be just the way it looks in the picture but you might want to insure you didn't have those switched.

Looks like some adjusting is needed. I wouldn't think the stern top should stick up 1/4'' above the frame?

post-2067-0-59019600-1320668222_thumb.jpg

Measure from the bottom of the slot to the top of the stern piece. It should be 1" from the bottom of the slot to the top of the stringer and the rear stern. I try to make them the same or the stern piece a little lower than the stringer so that you have a smooth transition.

Something else to watch is when you add the Gunwales you will almost certainly need to shape the edge of the stern to get smooth transition there. The gunwale are angled and since the stern is cut square that will leave an ugly bump when you skin. So I take a rasp or plane and shave it down to get a smooth transition.

Jeff you are right the gunwalls do extend up to that top pc. and the slot is 1''....

I have a question..what is the 1/8'' hole for on the strong back brackets?

P Doug the frames don't look any bigger when done,

I am 5' 10'' at 150lbs...and looks small to me....but look at the boats I am used to..

post-2067-0-44873300-1320756742_thumb.jpg

Guys, this is not a small kayak but it is a kayak. Remember you sit in a canoe, you wear a kayak.

I have a question..what is the 1/8'' hole for on the strong back brackets?

For you to align the brackets on the strongback. You can sight down them, pull a sting, shoot a laser.

Some nice looking boats, Woodman. I have a partially finish boat sitting in my garage. It is a little 12' sailboat I started in 2004! I have one more coat of epoxy ant then paint to put on it and build the mast and boom and it's done. I sorta got side tracked a few years. Hopefully it will be completed early next spring.

I found a place that sales marine plywood and baltic birch plywood that is closer to me than Portland, Or. It's about 150 miles as opposed to 230. I will be going there next Monday. It is called Windsor Plywood and it looks like most their stores are in Canada. They have two stores in Spokane, WA. Go figure, why two in the same city and the only two on the west coast in the US. Baltic Birch, 1/2" x 5' x 5' is $34.99. Does that sound about right?

Baltic Birch, 1/2" x 5' x 5' is $34.99. Does that sound about right?

That is actually quite good compared to the retail price at my local lumber yard of about $50. But considering that this yard is a 10 minute drive, and that they deliver to me for free (contractor acct.), if all I want is 1 or 2 sheets it becomes fairly attractive at $50.