side bench hatches

Guest Joe Nelson Oregon CS20 #3

Just wondering if the proposed side bench hatches shown in the core sound CD are worth the effort over buying plastic manufactured hatches?

What are most of you doing?

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Gordy Hill in Orlando

Joe,

The plastic hatches are nice, but I find I often wish I had a larger opening. I'd go with Graham's design.

Gordy

sirgordy@peoplepc.com

Guest Brent Sparks

Joe, what did you decide to do for hatch design? My boat is maybe a few weeks behind yours. I was curious what your plans were. I am thinking of going with something close to the seat locker hatch in the plans and fitting some fishing rod holders in under the side decks.

I went with the decked stern, and will put a large hatch in there to accomodate bulky items.

bljcatsparks@earthlink.net

I am spending a lot of time in the evenings trying to come up with a water resistent design of my own...also thinking about how it could be adapted as a kit or plan to other designs. Maybe thats the only way I can rationalize the time I am spending. :)

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Brent Sparks CS20 #31

I like the side bench hatch design in the boat plans in that it looks like it will be stiff enough and dry enough. The stiffness comes from the L shape. On other boats I find I am always clobbering my head on the L when digging in the hatch. Hence I was thinking through what I wanted to do on my boat. I definitely want the hatch to be dry. So far I dont have any better ideas than what is in the design.

bljcatsparks@earthlink.net

I've been toying with the idea of a flush fitting removable hatch like the ones on the for and aft decks. You can use shock cord from in the side bench compartments to hinge or keep it down. My biggest concern with this design is supporting the hanging strucure from below the bench tops. Might add a couple bulkheads directly under the fore and aft ends of the hatch base. Cut out all but the outer 2" of the bulkhead for access to the compartment...cut the bottom off completely. Maybe make the bulkheads out of left over 9mm plywood. Should help support my big rear too. :)

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Graham Byrnes

The side bench hatches are so convenient that I couldn't imagine being without them. Having them watertight is equally important. I gave up on the plastic hatches such as those made by Daytons Plastics, as the frames distort and leak, they have an upward facing channel around the hatch that fills up with water waiting for you to open it and dump more water into the locker.

Our hatch as designed works great but it a fair amount of work to make.

Peter Peroutka made flush hatches 3/4" thick breadboard style (no frame) with 3/4" thick frame to support the hatch. I think it had a groove around the outside of the gasket. They didn't leak when new. You can see one in the picture of the small boy steering at the bottom of the CS20 page on our our web site.