Marin County Sail

MikeStevenson

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely in the "small boats are best for day sailing" camp. I had more fun in my Weekender than in my Potter 19, and I suspect I'd have more fun in a Super Skipjack than I did in my Weekender.

Part of it is the time and money involved in maintenance, but also expectations. You expect more from a big boat, and it often disappoints. A small boat surprises you every day.

It's been interesting getting to know this boat a bit more. It has far more cockpit room than the Weekender (as it's ALL cockpit), and is twitchier and brighter feeling (with the same rig on a boat which weighs less than half the weight), but the stately feel of the Weekender is also nice for more relaxed sailing. The mellow afternoon feel of the Weekender is really nice too (or even more so in the Pocket Cruiser!) Both have their plusses.

I'll let you know when I take it down to San Diego again—I go right past Oxnard and we could sail for a couple of hours on my way past!

Mike

It's been interesting getting to know this boat a bit more. It has far more cockpit room than the Weekender (as it's ALL cockpit), and is twitchier and brighter feeling (with the same rig on a boat which weighs less than half the weight), but the stately feel of the Weekender is also nice for more relaxed sailing. The mellow afternoon feel of the Weekender is really nice too (or even more so in the Pocket Cruiser!) Both have their plusses.

I'll let you know when I take it down to San Diego again—I go right past Oxnard and we could sail for a couple of hours on my way past!

Mike

That would be great! I'm hoping to stay in this area, but make sure you check with me first. The job situation may take me back inland (at least that was the most promising job interview, but they haven't called back after the second interview!)