October 28th to 30th Get-Together

Neil Brander

I’ll be building a Core sound 17. I opted to purchase the kit, which I can either have shipped or I could pick up if I go to the get-together at the end of October. If I’m going to be there it would certainly save shipping costs and at the same time I could source the hardwoods from B & B that I would need to complete the project.

Both Carla and Graham are encouraging me to attend. They feel I would get to know the folks I’ll be communicating with on this forum (you), and learn something about sailing and rigging a Core Sound from those in attendance. But it’s a long trip from Massachusetts and I want to make sure it’s worth my while—namely, that there will be Core Sounds in attendance and that I can get on-board.

Please weigh in, anyone who has a Core Sound, plans to have it there, and wouldn’t mind an inexperienced sailor who has never sailed a cat ketch joining you for a sail or two?

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil,

Weather permitting, I feel quite confident that you'll be able to get a sail on a CS17 - There have been more than one of them at each get-together. Just make sure you aren't shy about asking for a ride, especially if you see Peter getting ready to take RedBeard out alone - I think we've all seen enough of his autobailer ;)

Sadly, I won't be there, but I do expect you to post some pictures of the event so the rest of us can enjoy.

Even after such wonderful responses, I’ve decided not to attend the get-together. I live in Massachusetts, which is about a 13 hour drive to Vandemere. That’s a lot of driving for a long weekend – especially if you are doing it solo.

Initially, I figured I would tie it into picking-up the CS17 kit and building the hull in the B&B facilities under Graham’s watchful eye. Then purchase a trailer down there and trailer it home for completion. But the logistics just don’t work well and it is pretty costly, what with food and lodging and all.

So I guess I’m just going to have to build one without ever seeing one.

Thank you all for your generous offers. It would have been fun!

Neil

I bet the price to fly in would be cheaper than driving in. The time frame would surely be less. Its worth the trip as long as you are into some serious sailing and seeing a diverse field of boats from the group of builders here. Of course you would need to bring your laid back gene and some WD 40 to reoil your jaw bones too.LOL!

Hey Ken good to see you are still out there and popping in from time to time. Send us some updated info on your recent events and maybe some photos of your ventures.

Neil,

What part of Mass are you? There are several CS17/20 owners in New England (based on what I've seen in the forum threads here), and Graham keeps up a list too, so if you email him he can probably get you connected to go sailing. My [from plans] CS17 is in the early-build stage (about ready to fillet & tape the seams)-- if you get the kit, you'll have that thing 3D in no time.

I'll have to remember to save some vacation time at end of October next year for the 2012 messabout. Not sure I can have my boat ready by then, but who knows? For those that go to this year's event, please post lots of pictures!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Barb and I plan to attend the October messabout at Graham's starting with the Italian dinner friday night. I've started (barely)

on a Core Sound 17 kit and have lots of questions & need all the help I can get - Barb especially needs a sail in a CS17 so

she will believe the stack of plywood in the shop might one day become a sailboat. Tom Perrin

• 2 weeks later...