Belhaven Keel and Mast Chafing

G Man

I've put quite a few hours at sea on #40 since her launch and have only run across a couple minor issues. One is with the keel raising system. My cb has 60lbs of lead in the tip and weighs 100lbs overall. The designed block and tackle system requires a huge amount of strength to lift the keel. My wife can only get it to about half way. I nearly dropped it a couple of times raising it in a seaway. I checked the keel externally for binding, but it moved freely. I removed the trunk cap and checked all the blocks for fouled bearings and clean movement, but again found no issues. It's just really heavy to lift. I switched to the old style keel lift using a hand whinch and steel cable that runs to a d shackle located about 2/3 of the way down the trailing edge of the cb. This works great. The keel is super light to lift and the whinch won't let the keel fall if the handle is released. The cable doesn't hum while at speed and there isn't any seaweed here in the Persian Gulf to snag the cable. I left the internal system still set and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions so that I may go back to it, but for now it's just too heavy! Plus, having that pivot hole makes for a good back-up lifiting point if I go back to the internal system.

The other issue is with my sprits chafing my wood mast. Was thinking of a patch of leather on the mast or perhaps wrapping the mast with 1/4" hemp line in this chafe area. Any thoughts? Trying to keep with a traditional looking solution!

Overall I couldn't be happier with the boat. She sails beautifully in all types of conditions and when the winds and seas really kick up, she takes it in stride. Very solid and easy to handle boat. I thought about making a dodger, but even in 4-5 seas at 7.5 knots, I hardly take a drop of spray in the cockpit. She is rock solid for a boat of only 19' and really punches through waves. I included some pics from my 2 day trip down to Abu Dhabi and one of the new whinch setup.

post-707-0-52008600-1312794015_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-25447900-1312794027_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-79091400-1312794039_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-86146600-1312794051_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-95814600-1312794068_thumb.jpg

The other issue is with my sprits chafing my wood mast. Was thinking of a patch of leather on the mast or perhaps wrapping the mast with 1/4" hemp line in this chafe area. Any thoughts? Trying to keep with a traditional looking solution!

I put fancywork on my sprits. It works well and looks salty.

DSC_0155.JPG

G Man, Wife and I got a kick out of your post from Abu Dhabi. We lived there in the eighties when the buildings were a lot lower. My oldest was born in the Women Hospital on the Corniche. All we sailed back then was a Mistral windsurfer.You brought back some memories. Good luck PeterP

I've put quite a few hours at sea on #40 since her launch and have only run across a couple minor issues. One is with the keel raising system. My cb has 60lbs of lead in the tip and weighs 100lbs overall. The designed block and tackle system requires a huge amount of strength to lift the keel. My wife can only get it to about half way. I nearly dropped it a couple of times raising it in a seaway. I checked the keel externally for binding, but it moved freely. I removed the trunk cap and checked all the blocks for fouled bearings and clean movement, but again found no issues. It's just really heavy to lift. I switched to the old style keel lift using a hand whinch and steel cable that runs to a d shackle located about 2/3 of the way down the trailing edge of the cb. This works great. The keel is super light to lift and the whinch won't let the keel fall if the handle is released. The cable doesn't hum while at speed and there isn't any seaweed here in the Persian Gulf to snag the cable. I left the internal system still set and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions so that I may go back to it, but for now it's just too heavy! Plus, having that pivot hole makes for a good back-up lifiting point if I go back to the internal system.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the boat. She sails beautifully in all types of conditions and when the winds and seas really kick up, she takes it in stride. Very solid and easy to handle boat. I thought about making a dodger, but even in 4-5 seas at 7.5 knots, I hardly take a drop of spray in the cockpit. She is rock solid for a boat of only 19' and really punches through waves. I included some pics from my 2 day trip down to Abu Dhabi and one of the new whinch setup.

Good to hear from you and that the boat is living up to your expectations! Loved the photos, too.

My Belhaven #44 is still in the works, but when I built my centerboard, Scott mentioned that he used around 35# of lead in his. I asked Graham about this, and it was felt that 35# is sufficient to weight the board down. Sounds like you have a good compromise with your winch.

Kyle

Love the work on the sprit John, I may have to steal that idea! Small world hey Peter! Even in the 4 years I've lived here the change has been unreal. Kyle, I've been following your progress and it looks and sounds great. I went for the full 60lbs to help increase stability in heavier seas, but as I've found it can become cumbersome. 35lbs would definatley keep the board down and make things run a bit nicer. Good luck and keep up the excellent progress, you'll love the Belhaven.