okcracoke 20 in nz

nzlance

Mine will be quite a bit different to what you are building because I went to a portifino stern. There was a template on the mylar so you can use to make your formers to curve the transom panel. I cut mine out of 2 inch thick timber the more surface area under the ply helps keep the surfaces from undulating. I also used 3 laminations and left the third off until the sides had been planked, then the last layer locks over the sides. There is alot more ply to be added to outboard well etc but is easier to once hull is flipped.

When I laminated the curved panels together I pre-drilled strips of timber and spaced them quite close together , right angles to the formers to provide even clamping pressure on ply. scattering screws all over the place makes for 'lumpy' surface as the ply trys to pull up between fixings. The panel will sring open abit once glue drys, but will pull around again once you fix it to beams. Be very carful doing this bit, as you have to keep the bottom of the panel slightly above the line of other stations to allow for planing angle as transom is tilted outwards around 15 degrees.

Hope this helps. Looks like you are doing a great job... and more imortantly, you are enjoying your build.

There you go, just what I was after. This has helped a lot Lance. I wondered how beefy I should make my form, and your undulating tip tells the story. As well as how you did your screws. I cut out my forms (both ends of my jig) today, using the mylar template you spoke of. I'll finish the jig in the morning and I hope to glue up the transom tomorrow. Thanks for the reply Lance.

Dave

• 3 months later...

No problem Lance.  I've got lots of time before coming to that bridge.  Keeping it simple is a good thing!  I started with the downriggers, two of them, 3 or 4 years ago and they're fine unless the fish start biting.  Can keeps a crew of one busier than I want to be! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I consider my family and me very fortunate in having had Lance sell us his beautiful boat.  After a brief sea trial on a glassy Rangitoto Channel on Thursday I towed her 600-odd kms south to her new home in Paraparaumu.  Our first fishing trip, with all 5 family members aboard,yesterday (Saturday) didn't have the fish jumping into the fish boxes, but we got one for dinner, and were further blessed with several sightings of Orca pods between the mainland and Kapiti Island.  The boat drove superbly in a little more sea than on Thursday, the space and stability for all 5 of us plus our neighbour as guide was great and the kids (and the wife) had a ball.  We saw more than 40mph on the run home. The boat would have gone faster but the girls chickened out.  I'm a very happy camper having seen Lance's attention to detail and the decisions he made about design and equipment.  Thanks Bud - and I hope you build yourself another sometime soon!

Jon. Wallace

• 9 months later...

Hey Lance, if you're still checking in here once in a while and don't mind would you pass along the manufacturer of your fuel tanks?  I've looked at Moeller's tanks an one or two in the 25 gal range look like the might work but just barely.  I thought maybe another manufacturer might offer a wider version, but so far haven't found another manufacturer.  You mentioned the word Tempo I think, and I think I can see that on one of the labels but it doesn't turn up in google search.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone building the Ocracoke 20 and looking for the right fuel tank may be interested in the following:  Regarding the tank that Lance describes on pages 5 and 6 herein as a Tempo product, it seems that the Aftermarket Moeller tank part #032525 is one and the same and since Moeller now owns Tempo, probably is.  After hours and hours of searching, I decided that to maximize capacity and ease of installation the best choice for my boat is the 24 gal OEM Moeller tank part #FT2498......HOWEVER, for a little more than half the price and what I think will be relatively minor modifications (to the boat not the tank) the best choice is the Aftermarket 25 gal version (032525).....and an extra gallon to boot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lance,

Am a new member here, and have just finished going through your build blog.  Have to say this is one slick looking rig, and nice NZ twist to a Carolina Flare Bow design.  May this design keep you dryer than your last boat (for some reason, most of the boats from NZ and AU look like they would be "wet" to me).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...