Weekender Keel stem problem

Guest SeaEagle

Guest SeaEagle

I'm building a weekender and have just discovered that when laminating the stem to the keel, I have introduced a 5+ degree lean to the port side (when looking lengthwise from the stern, the stem leans to the left).

I have discovered that this has resulted from an unnoticed dip in my workshop floor.

I have checked (using a spirit level) and the keel it self is straight as an arrow. The lean is only noticable from the top of the deadwood upwards.

My question: I believe leaving the stem 'as is' may result in the boat being scued to the left and is therefore unacceptable. Is cutting off the stem and cutting each of the keel sides back (to allow for an overlapping join) then relaminating everything back together (flat this time) the best method of fixing this?

Any advice would be kindly appreciated.

SE

lol- Sounds like a real OOPS :oops: First- I think I'd repost this over on the main forum. There's a bunch of Weekender builders there.

By the way- not laughing at you- I know the frustrations of having something get screwed up because I didn't notice something in time.

I think what you have outlined would work , yes. Once the cleats go in and the sides are attached you'll have good strength that way. I'd relam it - And yes, I've built a Weekender.

Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback - I do feel like a prize chump - the thing with my floor is that It actually looks perfectly flat - you can't see the 'dent'. I took a look at the floor and thought it was good enough - bollocks to me!

I think you're advice is right! - I'll copy this post to the main forum anyway!

Regards,

SE

Charlie,

Thanks for the feedback - I do feel like a prize chump - the thing with my floor is that It actually looks perfectly flat - you can't see the 'dent'. I took a look at the floor and thought it was good enough - bollocks to me!

I think you're advice is right! - I'll copy this post to the main forum anyway!

Regards,

SE