Alternative sails for Spindrift.

BARRYFOY

I am preparing to install my mast step on my spindrift 11N kit boat, and am pausing to revisit a thought I had before ordering the kit: The type of sail to use. Obviously, from all reports the stock sail plan is highly successful, and produces a hot sailing little boat. But... I am not a hot sailing sailor myself. And my recent experience has been with with spritsails, particularly leg-of-mutton sails. I have been satisfied with their performance, and appreciate their simplicity. I conferred with Graham about using the main sail from the Bay River Skiff, which is of the desired type (another advantage: My current plan is to build a BRS 15 next. One less sail to buy!) He advised that this would involve changing the position of either the mast step or the daggerboard trunk to restore the boat's sailing balance. So, I shelved that plan for the sake of simplicity of construction. But I can't seem to shake the idea.

So: Have any of you had any experience with sailing a Spindrift with other kinds of sails -- especially spritsails? Based on your experiences, what would you advise or recommend?

Barry

Graham includes a sailplan for a sprit rig sail on a catspaw.

When my Son first built his Spindrift 10, I wanted to derig it a bit while he learned. He was quite young at the time.

Graham sent me the sailplan for the Catspaw as a first rig for him.

Graham did caution that while the balance would be fine the boat would definitely suffer in performance with it.

I made a tarp sail to the plans for him with it.

Graham includes a sailplan for a sprit rig sail on a catspaw.

When my Son first built his Spindrift 10, I wanted to derig it a bit while he learned. He was quite young at the time.

Graham sent me the sailplan for the Catspaw as a first rig for him.

Graham did caution that while the balance would be fine the boat would definitely suffer in performance with it.

I made a tarp sail to the plans for him with it.

Ray-

I had looked at the catspaw/twopaw sail. It could be an option. I was picturing something in the 55 square foot region.

Barry