CS20 #31 goes 3D

Guest Brent Sparks

Guest Brent Sparks

Another B&B yacht was born over the weekend. With the help of a neighbor and two of my teens, we placed #31 on the cradle and folded it out. What was a stack of plywood on the floor now looks like a boat.

Once I figured out that the wire stainless wire I am using wasn't strong enought to pull the pieces together, but plenty strong to hold them in place, I stopped breaking wires and the finer lines of the boat came together smoothly.

I was tempted to add a few inches of rise to the bow, but went with the bow as designed. I am glad I did as the boat makes a very nice profile. I own a 20 foot Highlander racing sloop, but for the same length, the CS20 seems to occupy a much larger volume of space, and have potential to be a much dryer boat. If I truly finish the boat out at the 500-600 pounds target weight it will be much lighter than the Highlander also. It will be interesting to take the CS20 for a trip around the buoys with the Highlander fleet.

With the bow touching the forward wall of the garage, there is just enough room to squeeze past between the transfom and the garage door. Thankfully this isn't a CS21, cause it wouldn't fit!

The cedar strip canoe I am building for my daughter took its final coat of epoxy this weekend also. So with a few clean up details to do I will get out of hot water by giving that half the garage back to my wife's car.

I am having so much fun I just might take a few more days off "work" and mess about in boats.

;)

bljcatsparks@earthlink.net

Guest Graham Byrnes

Hey Brent,

Carla here - alias the "grandmother" of your boat - now 3D. Many congratulations...we are always very proud grandparents; even publishing, much less carrying, pictures of our grandyoung'uns! Can't wait to see the new baby!

Have a great New Year.

Guest Gordy Hill in Orlando

Pictures, Brent, we need pictures.

Of course we BELIEVE you've achieved this important milestone on your aleged boat....

sirgordy@peoplepc.com

• 2 months later...

Construction of CS20 #31 is moving along slowly. Time to spend in the shop has been limited recently, but there is some progress.

75P3030001-med.jpg

The centerboard is working out well. At this point there is three layers of epoxy over the glass. I installed a 1/4" poly rope on the leading edge, which took up the resin nicely making a very smooth and hard leading edge and bottom. Hopefully this will protect the CB from damage.

75P3030006-med.jpg

The interior has at least two coats everywhere. Fairing of the tape edges is moving along. There are a few fairing details left to do. The forward deck beam and king plank can be seen in this photo waiting installation. But for acessibility I might hold on this until the seat tops go in.

It is still very close quarters in the shop. My next house will have a proper boat building barn.

• 3 months later...

Time for a progress report I suppose. The hull is glassed now. With about 5 coats of epoxy it is starting to be nicely smooth.

There is a keel cut out of pine. But I am delaying putting it on in hopes of finding some better wood to build another one from.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

• 2 weeks later...

The douglas fir keel strip is now in place.

Finally got the hull sanded to condition BBAS. Then I put one more epoxy coat on to seal the pores. With some luck this will be sanded by the weekend and the first coat of primer will go on.

• 3 weeks later...

After what seemed like forever sanding, the paint finally went on. I learned that three coats of primer is much better than two. After sanding the primer out the surface is very nice. Interlux went on nicely once I figured out to use a little more thinner.

• 1 month later...

The paint is finally on. It took much longer than I anticipated. Did much sanding to get that nice smooth finish. I used non-skid additive on the floors inside, and am very pleased with the results.

Today I hung the rudder and installed the port side rub rail.