looking for something like old dyer dink 14

DanSkorupka

I was reading some posts on the oldmarineengine.com discussion group and found something interesting. Someone posted a scan of part of an edition of The Rudder from sometime in 1939. It was the Dyer products list. On it was something very interesting. Dyer made a 14 foot inboard powered version of the Dink. loa was 14'0", max beam was 5'0" and top speed was 8 to 10 mph depending on load with a 2 horsepower Briggs and Stratton with 2/1 reduction gear.

Currently, where I live, there are many dedicated planing hulls designed for the teens and way up requiring very large motors and being miserable to row, and true displacement hulls, and I have found nothing in between in the 13 to 16 foot range intended for motoring on the market, or popular modern plans.

This creates an interesting problem that is more complicated than the speed vs. fuel economy debate. Many boaters seem to want to spend much of their time in the range of 7 to 12 knots. This unfortunately is the same speed where many planing powerboats squat, nose up, throw a huge wake and use more fuel per mile than when fully planing.

I think it would do a lot of good if more small true semidisplacement boats were sold, but this category appears to be gone and forgotten in my region save for yachts and tiny dinghies.

Is there anything similar in behavior, hullform and economy to the seemingly forgotten dyer dink 14 in this same rough size range (13 to 16 feet) today, or perhaps would it somehow be possible to get a body plan of the hull in question.

Has anyone here ever seen a wooden Dyer Dink (any size) outside of a museum? Are or were plans available? Is there a well preserved specimen that could be measured or has been measured?

I am not in a position to build and likely will not be for a number of years, but I am sure someone out there would be interested in building and using such a boat, and I myself am curious about these things.

I don't know of anything like what you are asking for, but a friend of mine came up with a different solution to the same problem. Here is his prototype:

m23powercatw.jpg

The boat was made from the two amas off his Multi 23 trimaran, connected by a simple deck and powered by a 2 hp Honda. It went 7.7 knots and achieved 70 mpg. He is now going to build a very similar boat, hopefully not quite as ugly.