new design, 15' cat ketch

pyorgosp

I am a new member to messing-about, but have followed many topics in the past. I have just started building a boat that I designed myself. It will be a lapstrake 15-foot cat ketch with traditional rigs. I have started a blog about it, at http://176inches.blogspot.com. Wish me luck and any comments and advice welcome.

The link does not seem to be working...

The Ohio I-75 corridor. Boat building's home. :)

Oh sure exclude the Clevelanders.

Welcome to the board It will be fun to watch your progress. The Cleveland Amateur Boatbuilding Society has events all summer that both of you are welcome to attend, hopefully we can meet up on the water sometime.

May 11 LaDue Reservoir

May 21 Cuyahoga River at Eldon Russel park

June 11 Linseville PA Paymatuning Reservoir

June 25th Berlin Sailing Club Berlin Reservoir

Unconfirmed July 23 Old Womans Creek Huron

Aug 6th and 7th Lake Aurthur PA

Sept TBA Sandusky Sailing Club

Oct. 8 Jamestown Campground Pymatuning Reservoir

www.CABBS.Org

Jim

Oh sure exclude the Clevelanders.

Welcome to the board It will be fun to watch your progress. The Cleveland Amateur Boatbuilding Society has events all summer that both of you are welcome to attend, hopefully we can meet up on the water sometime.

May 11 LaDue Reservoir

May 21 Cuyahoga River at Eldon Russel park

June 11 Linseville PA Paymatuning Reservoir

June 25th Berlin Sailing Club Berlin Reservoir

Unconfirmed July 23 Old Womans Creek Huron

Aug 6th and 7th Lake Aurthur PA

Sept TBA Sandusky Sailing Club

Oct. 8 Jamestown Campground Pymatuning Reservoir

www.CABBS.Org

Jim

You should come to our end of the lake with one of your events. I looks to me as if you favor the pittsburg side...

You should come to our end of the lake with one of your events. I looks to me as if you favor the pittsburg side...

Hey Chris,

I am the summer events coordinator and would be happy to add another event in July or August, where do you have in mind? We try to spread them out ranging from Sandusky Bay West to Pymatuning East and as far south as Berlin, West Branch and sometimes Atwood. Personally I love to try new places, I am game.

Jim

Hey Chris,

I am the summer events coordinator and would be happy to add another event in July or August, where do you have in mind? We try to spread them out ranging from Sandusky Bay West to Pymatuning East and as far south as Berlin, West Branch and sometimes Atwood. Personally I love to try new places, I am game.

Jim

I don't really have a spot in mind. This side of Cleveland is pretty much as far as I would go for a day trip. I would probably attend anything that you had as close as Sandusky Bay. I have a dream of doing a sort of EC style event centered on the Lake Erie Islands. My boat is about 80% done and I'm hoping that a good hard build session in early July will yield a sail boat.

I don't really have a spot in mind. This side of Cleveland is pretty much as far as I would go for a day trip. I would probably attend anything that you had as close as Sandusky Bay. I have a dream of doing a sort of EC style event centered on the Lake Erie Islands. My boat is about 80% done and I'm hoping that a good hard build session in early July will yield a sail boat.

And what kind of boat are you building, Chris?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The boat's skeleton (bow, transom, bulkheads, frames, seat risers, centerboard trunk and keelson all glued and screwed/nailed together) is done except for beveling. Tomorrow will mark the beginning of applying the "skin" (garboards and three more chines). Wish me luck since it's my first attempt at lapstrake construction. Check out http://176inches.blogspot.com for progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Two of the four strakes are on, and the other two are scarfed and ready to go on. Lapstrake construction is more work than stitch and glue but not as crazy hard as I feared. Barring serious trouble I expect to have the hull ready before cold weather sets in, with spars, rigging and sails to make in the winter. See http://176inches.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

The basic hull is complete, with all four strakes attached. Still a lot of work to do, but it does give me a sense of accomplishment. For pictures and narrative see http://176inches.blogspot.com

Great progress so far! She is really looking like a boat now (I always love the transition from the frame stage to putting on the planking).