Epoxy part A went solid

Steve W

I'm finally getting around to buiding my Spindrift 11N. I bought 2 gallons of epoxy and the part A (not hardener) has turned close to solid on me. This has never happened before, but this is a different brand that the West System I have used before. The jugs were unopened. Are they junk?

Steve

It's just gone through a phase.

Changed from liquid to solid just like water changing to ice.

Setting in hot water and replacing hot water with fresh hot water a few times and it will be a happy liquid again with no change in properties.

It's always the resin that does it . aT LEAST FOR ME MY SHOP HAS NEVER GOTTEN COLD ENOUGH FOR THE HARDNER TO GO SOLID.

A quick fix is to place the plastic jug in the microwave for starters about one minute or tops about two if the jug is full. If the resin still has some clumps in it, then try another minute. Just make sure to stop when the white clumps all disappear. It will turn to liquid. Make sure the lid is tight and lay it on the side with the handle up. If you use it right away, this may also change the speed in which a batch may kick. So if the resin is warm, just let it sit for a bit until you feel comfortable that its settled down to a more desirable and average temp.

If you do microwave the epoxy container, please don't tighten the lid, you may just expand the air inside the jug enough to burst it. Leave the lid very loose or off, which will let the air expand as needed with out any issues.

If it was me, I'd fill a 5 gallon bucket with tap water, as hot as it comes out of the tap (about 120 degrees usually), then sit the jig in the water bath. This will usually do the trick. Repeat if it's not completely clear afterward.

Here is yet another solution I have done a couple of times. I just simply set the jug in the sun for a couple of hours and it was all liquid again.

Also there is a storage method I have been using for a few years now that protects all my paints and chemicals. I got an old refrigerator and wired a porcelain light fixture to the side wall a foot from the bottom. A 25 watt bulb will keep all my stuff at 60 to 80 degrees in the winter. Some times when the winter gets near zero for a while I switch to a 40 watt. It does work great. But the down side is I had a fireman tell me that it could be a fire hazard. If fumes, and if the air mixture would ever get just right along with a spark.

But anyway I haven't had any problems with my epoxy or any paints since I started storing them in the box. Of course I turn the light off when the temperature is around 60 every day.

Scott

Here is yet another solution I have done a couple of times. I just simply set the jug in the sun for a couple of hours and it was all liquid again.

Also there is a storage method I have been using for a few years now that protects all my paints and chemicals. I got an old refrigerator and wired a porcelain light fixture to the side wall a foot from the bottom. A 25 watt bulb will keep all my stuff at 60 to 80 degrees in the winter. Some times when the winter gets near zero for a while I switch to a 40 watt. It does work great. But the down side is I had a fireman tell me that it could be a fire hazard. If fumes, and if the air mixture would ever get just right along with a spark.

But anyway I haven't had any problems with my epoxy or any paints since I started storing them in the box. Of course I turn the light off when the temperature is around 60 every day.

Scott

Scot - when I had my other shop, I had an old chest freezer in there where I kept my epoxy, glues, etc. Any thing I didn't want to risk freezing. Yeah, it DOES freeze here, once in a while. I kept a light bulb in there- did it for years, no problems.

But that also kept it warm even in lower temps, so the epoxy worked better. 50-60 degrees is too chilly for some epoxies, particularly the 2-1 ratio ones.

Charlie Jones

I'm finally getting around to buiding my Spindrift 11N. I bought 2 gallons of epoxy and the part A (not hardener) has turned close to solid on me. This has never happened before, but this is a different brand that the West System I have used before. The jugs were unopened. Are they junk?

Steve

Wow, what brand is it and what was your ambient temperature?