Knot Yacht ready for the season

ScottWidmier

Some of you may remember my experimental 12' boat that I designed and built and called "Knot Yacht." Well, I sailed her a few times last season and decided on some modifications over the winter. The mods that will impact sailing are: 1) adding sailtrack and spreaders to firm up the mast, 2) lowering attachment point for forestay which also lowered the fractional jib, 3) moving the mainsheet to the end of the boom though I still need to add a boom vang. The mods that will impact comfort are: 1) a spray diverter, 2) oars to get back to shore when there is no wind (I also have an electric motor I can put on), 3) lines on either side of the cockpit I can tether things to like waterbottles...maybe a six pack?

I plan on getting her out on the water this afternoon or tomorrow depending on weather. Yes, it is warm enough down here to sail something like this! Depending on the trials, I may use her on the Florida 120 hence the oars.

BTW, when my wife looked at Knot Yacht with all the sails up she immediately christened it the "Nuts Yacht." :{

8a780bcf.jpg63bb658f.jpg39000c5b.jpg2d3006cd.jpg

Looks fast to me! A lot of sail area for a small wetted surface. You'll have to let us know what kind of performance you get.

I'm varnishing my teak on my plastic boat now, hoping to get her back in the water this spring. I did the obligatory compounding and waxing, always thinking I'm this close to using something like Poli-Glow on it. I like the looks of a colored hull, but man, that dark green always gets so ratty looking by the end of the season.

Nice new forum Frank! My new comfortable boat is a dark blue hulled Compac Suncat so I will get to experience your pain. One thing I am trying on that boat is teak oil instead of varnish. Have to apply it more often but it only takes 15 minutes with a rag to get all the teak. No worries about sanding off old varnish.

00d7db09.jpg

I put Poli Glow on our Sun Cat about a year ago, and it still looks pretty darn good. I'm going to recoat it soon because it is not quite as shiny as it was a year ago, but the Poli Glow was much easier and lasted much longer than the polish/wax I tried before.

Details:

http://www.tropicalboating.com/boat-repairs/waxpoliglow.html

I put Poli Glow on our Sun Cat about a year ago, and it still looks pretty darn good. I'm going to recoat it soon because it is not quite as shiny as it was a year ago, but the Poli Glow was much easier and lasted much longer than the polish/wax I tried before.

Details:

http://www.tropicalboating.com/boat-repairs/waxpoliglow.html

You should add your site to our Links Page! The pics are pretty impressive, and the one thing I've heard is that if you let the Poli Glow go too long it can dull and looks as bad or worse. The Poli Prep takes it off even when its aged, so its not a disaster. I'm thinking that re-applying it every year would be easier than the compounding and waxing.

Scott, one advantage of teak oil is that you retain all the grip of the wood, so it doesn't get slippery when wet. I'm just using regular old Helmsman spar varnish this time. It will last a year or so.

You should add your site to our Links Page! The pics are pretty impressive, and the one thing I've heard is that if you let the Poli Glow go too long it can dull and looks as bad or worse. The Poli Prep takes it off even when its aged, so its not a disaster.

I'll find out shortly whether it's true that treatment with Poli Prep will remove any aged material, allowing recoating with a few coats of Poli Glow to work the same magic as it did last year. I expect it will.

I went to the links page, but the little box says "you cannot submit a link." Perhaps because I'm new here and my post count is too low?

I'll find out shortly whether it's true that treatment with Poli Prep will remove any aged material, allowing recoating with a few coats of Poli Glow to work the same magic as it did last year. I expect it will.

I went to the links page, but the little box says "you cannot submit a link." Perhaps because I'm new here and my post count is too low?

Let us know how it works.

I upgraded you to regular "Member" status, so you should be able to post a link now. Let me know if you can't. The new software works really well at filtering spammers out automatically, but it does have a few quirks about other settings that I don't quite grep yet.

Inquiring minds want to know: Did you get out yesterday?

We wound up taking the big boat out for a while yesterday. It looked to be a good sailing day on Allatoona. I've got finish putting the CB back in the CS17 before I can get it out again.

Yeah, Scott, we want an update!

Let us know how it works.

I upgraded you to regular "Member" status, so you should be able to post a link now. Let me know if you can't. The new software works really well at filtering spammers out automatically, but it does have a few quirks about other settings that I don't quite grep yet.

It still says I can't submit a link. Also, my post count seems to be at zero and holding. Perhaps the two are related?

It still says I can't submit a link. Also, my post count seems to be at zero and holding. Perhaps the two are related?

OK, try it now. The post counting function was turned off by default because of the conversion process from the old software to the new software.