bimini for weekender?

Herschel Payne

Thanks Pat. That looks great and your boat is beautiful! Does the bimini get in the way of control of the main sheet? And in the photo, the main sheet seem to come directly from the end of the boom, not more from the centre of the boom as per the plans. That eliminates an extra pulley? and makes things less complicated and direct?

Hey Pat,

Great looking boat!

Are you going to bring that Weekender over to Pirates' Cove for the Perdido Wood Boat Festival (April 30 - May 1)? You should. We would love to see it and get it in the show.

I have yet to see a Weekender/Vacationer in this area and would love to see yours.

Blessings,

Steve

• 5 months later...

After one of the hottest summers ever here in Ontario ( the seats on my weekender felt like I was seating on a stove and the sun gouging my eyes out, I need a bimini) so Pat, or anyone, Where can I find a bimini for Weekender?

Also, I will probably need to make a taller mast and change the stays, and have the main sheet come from the end of the boom. Is that correct?

Herschel

I have a ratchet block on the end of the boom. It works well and reduces the load on the line you are holding. I found the bimini cover at Bass pro shop clearance center when I was up in Mo. for some training for work. I built the framework from schedule 80 electrical conduit. It took some adjusting to get it right and so it worked. It is something you need when sailing down here in FL.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pat, Does that mean that you added 33 inches to the mast height? I built my boat exactly to plans, so I was thinking of just putting a 6 or 7 inch block in the mast box and then letting the original mast sit on top of that.

Also another concern is how 7 inches will affect stability/heeling. By the way I found a boat shop and they are making me a bimini that will have turnscrews so that I can adjust the bimini height depending on weather I sail, row or motor.

• 2 months later...

I would also like to know how these mods have effected the boats performance. 5" higher cabin...that would be nice. The higher boom? I am just beginning my Weekender so am interested in plan changes. I am going round about the tiller, wheel thing. I prefer a tiller but agree the wheel is kinda cool. I am a "keep it simple" kind of guy.

That is a great looking boat Pat.