Who wants to sail (or just talk boats)

Ken_Potts

Ken and I had the first 'New Zealand B & B Messabout'. We timed it 6 months after the home base version to fit the seasons - just starting to cool down (Ken explained in NC the bugs slow down a bit - we ended up with some mozzies but small ones). We were unable to messabout on the water with a 1/2 finished boat - but we did get a chance to view some America Cup Cats lifting hulls at high speed.

We had a few beers, looked at boats, talk about boats, fantasied about boats we might build in the future. Ken's philosophy of 'go for the smallest boat the will meet your needs'. Fits for me at the moment (might be different if I won Lotto).

Nice to meet you Ken. Fun talking to someone who has met lots of people on the Forum and who has seen some of my favorite boats in the flesh. Hope the wedding goes well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the hospitality, Richard. I had a very nice time during my exile (Oops - I mean visit!) to NZ. As per your advice I climbed Rangitoto (absolutely beautiful) and I've got that Ukelele kit on order for my girl. If you and your family find yourselves near Canberra (why on earth would that happen?) please stop in for a visit.

Sorry about the delay in responding. I've been in the midst of wedding things for a while (Fun - see attached photo) and I'm just now able to come up for a breath.

post-234-0-67003700-1303280611_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken

You have to tell everyone where that photo was taken- it certainly wasn't Canberra. I think Bill Bryson crystalised the nature of Canberra in his book on travelling around Australia- "Canberra- why wait for death".

When's the wedding or why haven't we seen photos if it's already happened?

Cheers

Peter HK

Hi Ken

You have to tell everyone where that photo was taken- it certainly wasn't Canberra. I think Bill Bryson crystalised the nature of Canberra in his book on travelling around Australia- "Canberra- why wait for death".

When's the wedding or why haven't we seen photos if it's already happened?

Cheers

Peter HK

I liked it when Mr Bryson asked the waitress further up the East Coast (Gold Coast? Surfer's Paradise?) whether she liked it. She replied that it was better than Canberra. "It's that good?" he asked. "No, Canberra's that bad!" :D Actually , I quite like it here so far.

The wedding was at the Bathurst Lighthouse on Rottnest Island near Perth. You haven't seen the wedding pictures yet because:

1. I haven't seen them yet either, and

2. This is a boat building forum ;)

I see the Cape lighthouse lost all its markings. Oh thats right, you are upside down now. :P Congrats are in order and sympathies to the pretty lady at the same time. ;) Keep in touch as the summer approaches, and tell us your experience about how it feels to experience that up and coming global warming summer. :P:D Will send pictures of the fish and diserted beach ventures..........

Congrats on the wedding Ken. What an adventure you are having, a new wife and a new home half way around the world. All that is left now is adding a boat back into it ;)

Probably gonna haul out at New Bern for a bottom job, then head up the coast.

Keep in touch about the "up the coast part" Charlie. I would love to get together when you are in the area if up includes as far as RI.