cs 17, widen sheets?

Guest don

Hi

I'm thinking of putting main sheet blocks on side deck and mizzen about same angle. The main sheets will be an obstacle at times. Are there any other negative effects to this action I'm not seeing?

Guest graham

Don, Yes - changing the rigging as you described WILL have some negative effects on the sailing qualities. Remember that word I'm always using "compromise". When designing, I have to look at all the options for sailing efficiency, ergonomics etc... You should design a sail boat to be set up for your human desires and then kind of stick everything around the space you would like to occupy - as one may do in a house. And I don't like my boats to sail like houses :lol:

Moving the sheets out to the side decks would prevent you from pointing well, as the sails could not be brought inboard enough. Any attempt to sheet-in enough would result in a very tight leech.

Perhaps if I explain the sheeting system (not just for you, but to help all our cat ketch builders understand this):

The beauty of the sprit rig is it has very light sheet loads compared to a boomed set-up. If the CS had a standard boom with on centerline boom sheeting it would require a purchase of 4:1. The sprit rig only needs 2:1 and is still very lightly loaded (no breaking butt pulling in sheets).

When designing the rig set up, I wanted the easiest sailing configuration for either a crew or single-handed. Sometimes you are sailing "singlehanded" even with guests on board. This is why the sheets are double-ended. When you tack you don't have to worry about taking a sheet with you. The mizzen sheet might not present that much of a problem, but the main sheet would have to be tacked AROUND the front of the mizen mast each time. You would have to make some pretty awkward moves to take care of the tiller and both sheets or always sail with crew (very limiting). You might suppose the option of not taking the sheet with you would be the answer to that. That could be a bit of problem in the making. If you have to let out a sheet in a gust, you would have to dive to leeward (the opposite direction you want to be shifting weight), possibly trying to get around you "guests" and try to deal with a sheet while still maintaining control of the tiller. Messy indeed - with a high potential for capsizing yourself.

With the double sheet, you always have the sheet at hand on either side, without having to take it with you when you tack. Both the main and mizzen are convenient so that every time you want to change course, you can just adjust each sheet and bingo you are off on your new lay-line.

When placing the blocks, my first need was to consider sailing and safety.

I placed the mainsheet blocks so that they are just outboard enough to not interfere with your seated position when rowing, but not so far out that they will be in the seating space of people sitting forward. No one sits in the little spot by the mast where they are anyway. The mizzen blocks are positioned to clear the rudder. If they were forward they would foul the rudder on every move.

I think you will find in practice that the rig does not interfere at all with the use of the boat. You will find it much less an "obstacle" than a boom etc...

I shan't go on from here - but you can see hardware placement is not just "arbitrary". I agree that one of the joys of building your own boat is "doing your own thing". However, I think in certain areas of hull and rig changes, you need to make pretty sure you fully understand the "science" and not be totally awash in the "romance". I would gently suggest that when one doesn't happen to have the experience with a rig, that it should be rigged as designed and after sailing the boat for a while the owner may have other ideas which he/she would like to incorporate. Then at least the owner will know from experience where and how everything goes and how it is used in practice.

I really appreciate your bringing this subject up Don - not just for your own boat, but for others who are thinking of making changes to their designs - (whether it is a B&B or any other) - CHECK WITH YOUR DESIGNER first. We've seen many disaster that could have been avoided.