Opinion on First Kayak

huckstump

I’m looking to build my first kayak(s) and I was wondering your opinion on which one to build.

This by will be used by myself and my girlfriend, she 5’2” and I’m 5’9”. We plan to use it for mostly on lakes and a river now and then. I would also like to be able to carry a dry bag.

The kayak that I was looking at was the Ravenswood would this be a good choice for a first kayak?

The kayak that I was looking at was the Ravenswood would this be a good choice for a first kayak?

I am assuming you have little experience paddling since this is your first boat? Ravenswood and VARDO are good choice for a first boat. Ravenswood will have plenty of space for a few dry bags. It should be suitable for overnight camping as long as you pack light.

VARDO is a larger (longer) boat but the cost to build is only slightly more and it's a boat that you will not outgrow if you get serious about paddling. Because skin boats are so light handling a longer boat is just as easy as a shorter one. So don't dismiss it because of length.