Long Shot Plans

Greg

Greetings to Everyone,

Glad to join this group and looking forward to building a seaworthy vessel. I received my plans for the long shot yesterday and I have a few questions about them. I would have sent these directly to Jeff, but his letter requests that I start my questions here in this forum. So, here goes:

1. There are two full size sheets and one 8.5" by 11" letter included in the plans. The two full size sheets have the following titles:

"Full Size Frame Plans"

"Full Size Frame Plans, Sheet 2 of 3"

Am I missing a third sheet?

2. Frame 6'8" and 9'1" have 6 more stringers than other frame pieces. 4 of these are for the seat to rest on. The other two I have no idea. Do these pieces start at frame 6'8" and end at frame 9'1", or do they run past these and tie to the keel further towards the ends of the boat? Is there at diagram or photo that specifically shows how all the stringers are laid into the frames?

3. Notes on the "Full Size Frame Plans" sheet says the following:

Chine stringers are 5/8" by 3/4

But many of the frame pieces show the 2nd chine from the gunwale to be 1" by 5/8". So are the notes correct or is the frame outline correct?

4. If I am building a laminated coaming, shall I use the inside of the "lower coaming ring" on Sheet 2 of 3 as my outline for my coaming forms?

5. Is this coaming the larger size coaming? I understood there were two different sizes available.

6. Instructional CD has a picture that will not show up on page 31 and 41 of the pdf file. It has the following caption:

At the time of this writing we are hanging our plans so that the bow and stern use a "Tab and Slot" assembly method. Not all the plans have this yet.

Instead of a picture it shows "file:///C:DOCUME~1/Kudzu/LOCALS~1/Temp/m". Anywhere else I can view this picture?

Informed responses appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Thanks for asking on the forum, it saves me answering the same questions over and over.

As hard as I try I still make mistakes and I depend on input from builders like yourself.

1. There are two full size sheets and one 8.5" by 11" letter included in the plans. The two full size sheets have the following titles:

"Full Size Frame Plans"

"Full Size Frame Plans, Sheet 2 of 3"

Am I missing a third sheet?

No your not missing a sheet. I made a some changes a while back and managed to consolidate the plans into 2 sheets and obviously overlooked the 2 of 3 note. I will fix that.

2. Frame 6'8" and 9'1" have 6 more stringers than other frame pieces. 4 of these are for the seat to rest on. The other two I have no idea. Do these pieces start at frame 6'8" and end at frame 9'1", or do they run past these and tie to the keel further towards the ends of the boat? Is there at diagram or photo that specifically shows how all the stringers are laid into the frames?

All six are seat stringers. They go between the two frames for the seat to lay on. This is wide enough for a mini-cell tractor seat. Well worth the costs! Hard chine boats use plywood but the multi-chine don't let themselves to plywood floors. I never thought to put a photo in the manual but I will do that. That is the problem with knowing how to do something, you don't realize you need to explain it better.

This should help

ls10.jpg

3. Notes on the "Full Size Frame Plans" sheet says the following:

Chine stringers are 5/8" by 3/4

But many of the frame pieces show the 2nd chine from the gunwale to be 1" by 5/8". So are the notes correct or is the frame outline correct?

That is a mistake. The stringers are both sizes. The first Long Shot was all 1 x 5/8 stringers but the frame was a little too flexible so I changed one second from the bottom stringer to a 1 x 5/8 and did not change the notes. Amazed no one has pointed that out before now.

4. If I am building a laminated coaming, shall I use the inside of the "lower coaming ring" on Sheet 2 of 3 as my outline for my coaming forms?

Yes

5. Is this coaming the larger size coaming? I understood there were two different sizes available.

This is the standard 34" long coaming. I have had a couple of people ask me about a longer coamings but none every followed up. I have not drawn the plans with that 36" coaming option. Firefly is offered in a higher volume model with a 36" coaming.

If you want the 36" coaming contact me through the web site. We can work that out.

6. Instructional CD has a picture that will not show up on page 31 and 41 of the pdf file. It has the following caption:

At the time of this writing we are hanging our plans so that the bow and stern use a "Tab and Slot" assembly method. Not all the plans have this yet.

Instead of a picture it shows "file:///C:DOCUME~1/Kudzu/LOCALS~1/Temp/m". Anywhere else I can view this picture?

Not sure what that is not showing up but will take a look at that. Your boat is one I have not changed yet so this doesn't apply, but here is the image.

tabandslot.jpg

Jeff,

1. Not missing a third drawing, got it.

2. Thanks for the photograph, that's exactly what I needed.

3. Chine widths are both 1"x5/8" and 3/4"x5/8". Got it.

4. coaming form is inside of picture.

5. I will contact you on your website about this. I expected that the higher volume change was made in both the long shot and the firefly.

6. My plans are at home right now, but I'm sure I saw tabs on the bow frame and slots on the 16'6" frame. I don't remember what I saw on the stern, it was getting late. But I definitely have slots and tabs on the bow section.

Thanks for the fast answers,

Greg