A day in the life of a CS17

Davo

Gday - thought I would share some reflections on a couple of interesting outings I had recently in my CS17 "Wyvern" #36

went out in blowy conditions - probably gusting up to 30k - the boat went great as always (full sail) with three on board- find that sometimes in gusty conditions the boat won't go through the tack well (think I will have to play with the mizzen a bit more to see if I can stop that) - anyway decided to gybe downwind as the rocky shore was coming up quickly - left the mainsheet on - BIG MISTAKE! came through the gybe and the gust laid us over. I've capsized once before but didn't even get wet that time just walked over the side onto the board and stepped back in as she came up - this time we all went into the water along with fenders, water bottles, shoes, dry bags, etc.

The boat steadily and slowly turtled as I knew she would - scrambled onto the hull and my 90kg got her on her side OK but slipped into the water as she rolled so I had to pull myself back onto the board from the water - that board is along way up - good thing I have been doing my push-ups! Got it up fine and back in the boat which was full of water - got Dad back in (will he ever go sailing with me again?) and bailed out - then on to retrieve the step-mother who had floated off in the wind hanging onto several fenders (we all had lifejackets on). Looking up at the wind indicator to check wind direction noticed it was now at a 90 degree angle and the top 3 foot of the sails were black with lake mud. Umm didn't know the lake was so shallow there.

Retrieved nearly everything - lost at sea: one water bottle and one thong (the kind you wear on your feet - not underpants!) - not too bad considering - at least we got the (not too wicked) step-mother. Noticed the boat behaving badly on the way back and thought to myself - we took on some water through the fore and aft hatches when we were upside down - yup probably 100L in the forward storage and 50L in the back - an option for water ballast!? I don't have a rubber seal under the hatches but they are tight - I was surprised that we took on so much water through the hatches as the boat floats high even when upside down. Maybe some work on those for next time! Good learning all round.

on another note, got the boat planning up-wind - what a hoot!

Cheers and good sailing

Davopost-641-0-52127600-1298166430_thumb.jpg

foreshortening and view angle of photo??? Could be a camera trick but it appears as if the aft sail (mizzen) is larger and taller than the fore sail(main). You didn't have the masts reversed by chance?

Some excitement anyway! A turtled boat is not good. Aluminum masts? If so, were the masts sealed to exclude flooding?

foreshortening and view angle of photo??? Could be a camera trick but it appears as if the aft sail (mizzen) is larger and taller than the fore sail(main). You didn't have the masts reversed by chance?

That was the first thing I thought when looking at the picture. A new rig the cat schooner? B)

Gday - yes the photo is an optical illusion - sorry no new rig chnages!

What I would do differently would be to:

1. not attempt a gybe in blowy conditions!

2. if i had to gybe - prepare to let off the main fully as we gybed and get the weight up on the rail

3. tie the step-mother in

Last sunday for the first time went out to the big wide Tasman sea from Bermagui - I've been out in some bays before but it's all horizon to New Zealand from where I was. Only about 10-15 knots very pleasant except for the swell which made me a bit green around the gills! Started to blow up with a southerly change later in the afternoon but I was nearly back at tghe harbour by then. I felt pretty vulnerable out there - so I was keeping a good eye on the weather and turned back in time.

The boat handled everything - it is so bouyant in the bow that it just rides up over swell and waves - had the boat self-steering for long periods heading up into the wind - just tie the tiller ahead, ease the mizzen until she is balanced and make yourself a cup of tea (if i had brought one)

Cheers!

Davo