reefing a tarp

Al Stead

Hello All,

I want to put reef points in my tarp main sail. I bought a heavy duty white tarp on the net that is quite a bit heavier than any I have used before. However, I'm not too sure about stresses on the reef points, especially the one on the leach. My plan it to build up the areas around where I will set the grommets with white duct tape, and maybe a line along the reef line as an extra reinforcemnet. I'm going to do a jiffy reef system.

My question is: can I put reef points in a tarp sail, and if I can, will it work very well and last for a while?

Al Stead

Weekender Jumping Duck

thank you gentlemen,

The main reason I'm going this route is with the way the summer winds are around here, I won't go out too much if I'm not prepared for a heavy blow. Last summer I went out on a mild day and soon found myself listening to my mainsail leach buzzing like the reed on an oboe, and the waves splashing over the rub rail. That was kind of cool, but boy I sure would have reefed if I could have. I had to cut my day short which I don't want to do this year when I'm trying so hard to learn boat handling skills.

Al