Bay River Skiff Construction (Loon)

Jason Cahill

The B&B website doesn't seem to indicate the use of fiberglass over the entire hull for the Bay River Skiffs (I don't have the plans yet). Is it just epoxy on both sides of the ply? I'd like to hear about how well the boat fairs (lasts) without fiberglass. If Tom Lathrop is out there, I'd especially like to hear from him. His Loon seems to have been put to an awful lot of good use. Talk about inspiring stories for potential boat builders or sailers.

The B&B website doesn't seem to indicate the use of fiberglass over the entire hull for the Bay River Skiffs (I don't have the plans yet). Is it just epoxy on both sides of the ply? I'd like to hear about how well the boat fairs (lasts) without fiberglass. If Tom Lathrop is out there, I'd especially like to hear from him. His Loon seems to have been put to an awful lot of good use. Talk about inspiring stories for potential boat builders or sailers.

Jason,

I did not glass my Bay River Skiff and when I sold her after 12 years the hull was still in very good shape. She had not been babied at all and had been trailed a number of times from Maine to Florida.

The hull did have 3 coats of epoxy resin and had been primed with two part epoxy paint and finished on the outside with two part polyurethane paint. The ply was meranti which is heavier but tougher than okume. The keel was protected with a metal strip and the chines had a 3' strip in the middle so that I could run her up a concrete ramp with out hurting her.

I heard from the owner about a month ago and said that he was still enjoying her. I am guessing that she must be approaching a quarter of a century by now.

Tom sheathed Loon with polypropelene cloth which has much more wear resistance than glass but it takes longer to apply and to fill the weave. If I was building a BRS with okume ply I would probably use 8 oz. glass but I would still want the metal strips. Loon was so well built that I am sure that she will out live us all.

Loon was sheathed with Vectra polyethylene cloth. I don't remember whether I sheathed the sides but probably only did the bottom. This was for protection of the occume plywood in dragging over oyster shells and other bric a brac. As Graham said, it is not always necessary and for more careful use, just epoxy is fine. This is the boat I started using industrial epoxy paint from Glidden (now ICI)on the interior of my boats. It wears like iron. The current owner said last year that he might need to do some touch up work on this boat which has seen long and hard use over 16 years. I did put on the stainless keel strip which is a good thing. If you don't use Vectra or Xynole (my favorite hard use sheath), the stainless strip along part of the chine bottom is good for hard use on ramps and such.

For the usual daysailing on lakes and such, nothing other than epoxy and paint is needed.

I am also really interested in this design. Tom has been quite helpful with suggestions on the Wooden Boat forum as I go through the design selection process. This was one of the boats I asked him about.

Phil- Congratulations on the great build. She looks wonderful. What HP are you running her with? How does she move out? Are you planning to sail her too?

I was going to use a 9.9hp but bought a 15hp because I got a Good deal on it. I don't plan on sailing this boat and wish I had made it a planing hull but so far at 1/3 throttle I have gotten 14mph per a handheld GPS with 3 people on board. Can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get on the water.

When I was using Loon to tow a model of a powerboat, I had an 8hp Yamaha and it got up to 10mph on the paddlewheel meter. GPS had the dither then and was no good for speed. I borrowed a 9.9 but it made the bow rise way up. Put some wedges under the stern to bring it back down and got about 12.5mph although the boat did not handle well. You are right about the planing hull option for the BRS which is called the Bay River Runner. I don't know if Graham still offers this option which essentially flattens out the aft buttocks. Unless the boat is to be used for sailing, I'd recommend the BRR over the BRS. I know what I'd do but you should ask Graham if you have a good option.

When I was using Loon to tow a model of a powerboat, I had an 8hp Yamaha and it got up to 10mph on the paddlewheel meter. GPS had the dither then and was no good for speed. I borrowed a 9.9 but it made the bow rise way up. Put some wedges under the stern to bring it back down and got about 12.5mph although the boat did not handle well. You are right about the planing hull option for the BRS which is called the Bay River Runner. I don't know if Graham still offers this option which essentially flattens out the aft buttocks. Unless the boat is to be used for sailing, I'd recommend the BRR over the BRS. I know what I'd do but you should ask Graham if you have a good option.

If you use 10 ounch glass be careful.. Use on bottom only! I found it very hard to fair and smooth out, it took a lot of epoxy, in the gallons range. After the second coat I sanded in between.. It still took four coats (including first), and then a couple coats of expensive two part primer.

- Edward

I was going to use a 9.9hp but bought a 15hp because I got a Good deal on it. I don't plan on sailing this boat and wish I had made it a planing hull but so far at 1/3 throttle I have gotten 14mph per a handheld GPS with 3 people on board. Can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get on the water.

Phil: how does the boat handle going this speed?

I have attached some pictures when I first launched my BRS. I was getting about 12-13mph in these pictures and in one of the pictures I have concerned expression on my face. The engine kept cutting out and I later found that dummy me had forgotten to open the vent on the tank.

Phil,

I have to say that the photos don't look like 12 to 13 mph to me. Looks much slower than that. Your photos come up HUGE on my computer. Is it my settings or do others get the same results?

Navigating photos in the new server is not nearly as clean or easy as the old one.

Edward,

10oz glass should fair out rather easily. I suspect a basic problem like maybe too much resin on the first coat, causing the cloth to float unevenly. Relegating an unfair surface to the bottom a boat is not good practice. It may not be seen but that is the business end of the boat and needs more care than the visible part of the topsides.

Tom: Pics came out large on my screen as well. Nice, I didn't have to squint!

I think you nailed Edward's lumpy glass problem. I sheathed a 14' duck boat in 10 0z glass (E glass) and it came out smooth and didn't use anywhere near a gallon. That was back when WEST cost way less than it does today, but trust me I would have noticed if my big jug of 105 took a one gallon hit.