vardo

JordanStrieter

i am an experienced kayaker, in mostly plastic sea kayaks. i have been interested in a skin on frame kayak for awhile so i just purchased the vardo plans. however now i have a few questions. 1 i notice you use nylon and polyester as coverings but i see online that lots of people cover theres with pvc, is there a difference in which you use and if so why dont you use it?

and second in my experience with sea kayaking if you dont have a rudder and the water isnt smooth flat it can be quite the task to stay in a straight line especially if there is any wind. is there a way to attach a rudder to one of these, or because of the way they are designed is this not an issue? because i plan on using this for kayak camping trips and wanna make sure i didnt buy the wrong thing. thank you for any information you can give me!

I think I have your plans on my desk to mail this morning. BTW my plotter was down and I just it running yesterday afternoon.

Lets start with the design. Vardo is a well balanced boat and sounds like a good match for what you want. Add hatches and it would be great for camping. I am going to try to get my info on the web site on how to put in hatches this week.

You say your are experienced, am I correct in assuming you have always paddled a boat with a rudder? If so I would imagine a boat without one feels hard to control. I have never paddled with a rudder except for trying someone else boat. I find a rudder a pain in the backside and really don't like paddling with one. I have no problem making a boat go where I want in wind and waves without a rudder. It's just matter of experience and learning some different skills.

You probably will not like any boat without a rudder at first but if you give it time and learn to do lean turns instead of depending on the rudder to turn the boat you will be able to go where ever you want. VARDO responds well to lean turns. If you want the boat to go right you just lean left and it will start to turn on it's own. In a big wind or waves you may find you are paddling with the boat leaned a little to one side all the time. I do not even think about it now, it's just a reflex action.

As for adding a rudder I am sure it can be done but I see no need. It would take some modifications to the frame because I have not designed in a mounting point for the rudder on the back. There is the also the issue of routing cables and mounting them, getting them through the skin and sealing it. While I am certain it can be done, it just doesn't seem worth the extra work and expense.

As for skin PVC works. Bottom line is I don't like the look. Most end up with wrinkles and puckers. And I don't think it is anywhere near as durable as a good sewn on skin. Most men are intimidated when you mention sewing and I think that is why there are so many PVC skins. But sewing a skin on a frame is not a big deal and I think you get a far better skin too. I use polyester on all of mine unless it is creek boat or something that will see hard use. Then I use a 12 oz nylon for that.

Hope this helps.