Paint over varnish over nylon?

clay_tarver

Just wondering about the possibility of adding some "bright work" (as my grandfather used to call it) to a Zar-varnished nylon skin.  Seems that if oil-based varnish covers the slippery nylon, oil-based paint might stick well enough to the varnish to allow stripes or other decorative touches.  Any thoughts?

Have also thought about putting one coat of varnish on the inside of the skin, to make the varnish layers sort of lock themselves through the nylon.  Not sure how this could be accomplished in practice.  Perhaps strategic areas could be coated on the inside just prior to stitching.

Anyway, Happy New Year to all.

Just wondering about the possibility of adding some "bright work" (as my grandfather used to call it) to a Zar-varnished nylon skin.  Seems that if oil-based varnish covers the slippery nylon, oil-based paint might stick well enough to the varnish to allow stripes or other decorative touches.  Any thoughts?

If the oil based varnish is well adhered then there is no reason not to apply oil base paints.

Have also thought about putting one coat of varnish on the inside of the skin, to make the varnish layers sort of lock themselves through the nylon.  

If the coats actually penetrate through the nylon skin, and the inside coat was applied before the outside coat cured it might accomplish something.  But if the outside coat penetrated that deeply I can't imagine it is necessary.

I would think the alkyds didn't "penetrate" the nylon, but partly surrounded the separate fibers. If the inside was painted/varnished while the outside was still "green" then you might get some chemical "keying", but if it was dry, then internal coats would be just overcoats, like anything else.

You should be able to put anything on top of the varnish as far as I know.

What is the purpose of coating the inside? I see nothing to be gained by it. Sealing the outside keeps the water out and it is would be darn nearly impossible to do a decent job anyway.

On my polyester skins I thin the finish to get a better penetration. I typically use oil based paint. If I don't think it, it soaks in unevenly giving the inside a blotchy finish.  I have found that by thinning the paint it soaks in more evenly and gives the inside a much better look with only a slight blotchyness to it.