Personally I'm insulted

ChrisObee

It seems that I have been banned from the byyb forum for the heinous sin of having a yahoo.com email address.  I've done what I can to find the email of someone who is an administrator of that site to complain but it seems that there is no option to contact these folks without posting in the forum.  I'm mad, I'm resentful and I have been treated poorly. 

Chris, there has been an issue with the email on the site.  You can email to secretary@byyb.org and it should go through now.

For background, messing-about.com donates the web hosting for the BYYB.ORG and provides some technical support, and I just completed a reconfiguration of the email accounts.  It is amazing how much spam web email accounts get (several hundred per day), and how many phony registrations you get in things like Forums, comments, etc.  We're hoping the reconfiguration will help keep things manageable again.

I won't give my personal opinion of thier management style.  I've been a member of that site and many other boat builder sites over the last 10 years, I am a professional systems analyst and administrator and I've never heard of a situation that would justify an accross the board banning of established accounts.  To be honest I will probably just drop my participation at byyb.  I find it very difficult to convey the depth of resentment that I feel over their actions. 

Have you contacted Brian Walters or Craig Gleason? I've always thought you a little "out there" Chris, but this Yahoo email thing just takes the cake . . .

Me, out there.... Well that may be true but I think I've been carefull in crafting my online persona to reflect the straights that wander these forums. 

This is the first time I've been banned, I will admit to leaving a forum or two in a huff but I've never been booted from one. 

My normal pattern is to craft an incisive and vicious response and then to delete it before sending.  My almost posts seem to outnumber my actual posts.   

Hmmm....    Maybe I'm the "difficult user" that Frank refered to in another thread. 

Chris you haven't been baned.  I have stopped taking new members from your IPS due to excessive spamers.  Upwards to 50 per day.  I have better things to do than delete all this stuff.  You were most likely dropped for not posting or logging in for more than 365 days.  We do cull the non participating members at times.  Or it was just a mistake on my part.  If you will haul in your horns and send me your desired user name and the email address you use I will gladly put you back in the data base.  As far as being out these I never noticed.  Were you?  As for your indignation keep it, it is misplaced.

This reminds me of my recent attempts to try and limit the amount of time I spend each day going through registrations, trimming the spammers from the membership rolls, etc.  Very few (free) automated solutions work.  And someone is always falling through the cracks, due to software not being smart enough to recognize valid emails, my errors in checking off a dozen or so check boxes, etc.  It is very frustrating for all involved, and could be solved by just deleting the website. 

That can be done in just a few seconds; rm -r * at the SSH prompt and my troubles are over.  7 keystrokes from freedom.

Except for some sites that generate funds, like Wooden Boat and Duckworks, most of the amateur boat building sites are run by volunteers, giving their time without compensation.  To be honest, it is sometimes a real PITA, because no matter how hard you work, you screw it up.  You just don't have the resources of a corporate IT department to buy licenses for expensive software or hire folks to handle the problems that come up.  And even those guys screw things up, with all their resources and personnel. 

When mistakes happen, it isn't "personal".  Its a mistake.  Its easy to take it personally, but in this case its a software rule that had consequences that weren't foreseen.  It happens.  I know Craig has spent hours managing BYYB.ORG, and for the most part, its a thankless and frustrating job.

Of the problems we face in life, having a mistake like this happen is way down the list, probably below having your pet goldfish fish die.  No one is bleeding, no one's child is dying of cancer, no one lost their job and is hungry. 

I don't have a dog in this fight, but after reading Franks reply I just have to second what he said. There is a reason I closed my forums and moved them here. It was taking way to much time each day dealing with spammers and trying to weed out the people from the 'bad people'.  I am very happy to let Frank do to hard work and allow me to build boats and develop new ones.

I have said it in a while but THANK YOU again Frank!

I don't have a dog in this fight

There is no fight here.  My issue has been resolved.  While you might think that my issue was insignificant in the face of all that is going on in the world for me it was a personal slap in the face.  A slap that I could not see how to address.  There was not contact email to which I could complain either in the ban message or on the homepage of the forum.  So I made a public noise in a forum that I felt sure would echo over the byyb site.  But as I said there is no fight here.  The configurations applied to the site went further than the administrators understood and I was caught in the wash.  When they understood my problem they worked to fix the issue promptly.