Vardo Plans

Junkerbill

I received my Vardo Plans yesterday from Kudzucraft and am delighted.  The plans are full sized and very clear.  I printed the manual out and put it in a looseleaf notebook.  I'll divide it up into sections so I can get to info more quickly when I need it.  No one around here stocks marine plywood and no one seems anxious to order one sheet, but after I read the manual Jeff has convinced me to use the marine plywood instead of the exterior plywood. I'll keep on looking.

An interesting thing about reading is that I can't just read it once and think I know it.  I have to go over it again and again until I feel knowledgeable enough.  I've read the 100 or so pages twice since yesterday and I found on the second time that I had missed something on the first reading.  When I read it again for the third time, I'll take a marker and underline the more important parts. Even then I'll probably go over it again, and maybe again, before I actually start putting it together.

I am going to use cypress for the stringers, but I'll have to scarf them since my boards are only 16' long.  Never done it, but I think it is fairly simple judging from the manual and the videos I've watched from Jeff's website.  If I can't I'll call on some friends more familiar with woodworking to help with it.

Hope to keep everyone posted on the progress with my Vardo.

I am so glad to see someone finally posting their build! I keep asking but so far and I am only one so I am excited to see someone else build.  It will help me learn to watch others build. 

Knowing where you are I think it is wise choice to hold out for marine plywood. Exterior grade we get around here is just not a good boat building material. It's better than junk but just barely!  You can find plywood in Decatur at United Plywood. They supply cabinet shops and I suspect some of the building supplies with specialty items. As far as I know they will sell to anyone.

You might give them a call, there is a good chance they have a truck in your area and you might be to able to meet them somewhere along their route.

It's been a busy week trying to get all the things I need for my Vardo.  I found a supplier locally for marine grade plywood.  I ordered a sheet of 1/2" which will cost $68 and change. It'll be in Monday.  Not a bad price I thought.  They stock a few sheets of 3/4" for the boat repair shops here on the Tennessee.  Great people to work with.  It's Walker Lumber Company located in Tuscumbia, AL.  They also carry western red cedar, cypress, and other hard to find lumber as well.  Mike's merchandise is where I've found reasonably priced clamps of different varieties, although I still need a few others that I'll get on eBay.  Hopefully, I'll start cutting out the stringers on Monday or Tuesday.

Glad you found it. That's just a little bit more than I pay for plywood but not much. And if you don't have to drive a long ways it's well worth the extra with gas prices going up.

I know Mike of Mikes merchandise. We went to school together. He has done an amazing job of growing his business. Not real cheap around here like he used to be but sometimes you do find some great deals.

Jeff