Cleveland Boat show at the IX center

Johnny Socko

Is this the one held in January in Cleveland? 

I enjoy most boat shows, but the indoor ones are usually so heavy on power boat designs with few small sailboats that I kind of lose interest after about half a day.  We have boat shows on the water in Southern California, with quite a few sailboats present. 

The power boat guys sell the most boats, so they are the ones showing the most at the  shows.  I like finding the small vendors or either gear or occasionally a custom boat builder who has some new idea that they are showing.  And it is a good place for a meet up!

Hey John,

I am a member of CABBS and a frequent lurker here. If you were at the show last year you may remember the the SOF kayak built by my daughter in the CABBS booth (the color was Very Berry you would remember it). If you are interested in CABBS visit the web site at cabbs.org to see our winter schedule at the Strongsville library.

I have built several boats including a Vacationer, Bolger Pirogue, No Frills 15, Mirror Dinghy and currently a Core Sound 17. If you are near by feel free to give me a shout and it would be a pleasure to share what I have happening in the shop, its a good time of the year to share a cup of coffee at the wood burning stove and share boat building tales.

If we don't meet before hand maybe we can hook up at the show I am sure I will be working the booth more than a few times. CABBS membership gets you into the show for free.

Megan_with_FT_Award.jpg

Jim

Jim, I have been to the CABBS site and have it bookmarked. I would like to join but I am an east sider (Hiram). Do you have many members this way? or at least in Lake county?

I remember the Kayak well, I tried to talk my daughter into building one with me, didn't work :-( I am trying to get the boating bug to bite her, no luck yet.

I would very much like to see a real shop (my build is under my car port) and pick your brain about the boats you built. And I love coffee.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hey John,

I just found out that CABBS needs to fill some space and I will be displaying Primrose at the show. I will be working the booth Fri opening day, Sunday morning, Wed eve, and Sunday the last day until close and clean up.

We had a group of guys at the meeting yesterday that joined from Canfield, a couple of regulars from Youngstown and we do have a couple of guys from Pittsburgh but we normally only see them in the summer. We even have one member from Austria but he tends not to show up for anything.

I hope to see you there Jim 440-570-0479

• 3 weeks later...

Hey John,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife at the show today. Stay in touch and we can hit a local lake this summer. My comment on the plywood was not directed at the material that you are building with, I was rather displeased with the sheets that I used on the canoe that delaminates every time that I use it.

Good luck with your weekender and I look forward to seeing it on the water.

Jim