A Belhaven is Born! #40 Completed.

G Man

Well, its been nearly one year to the date of the first cut, and Belhaven #40 is finally finished!  (Except for rigging)  What a great project this was and being my first build, I was pleased at how well it came together, a credit to Graham's design.  Thanks to everyone on the forum who helped me out along the way.  Sorry for the lack of updates, but every free moment I had went to tinkering on the boat!  I have some better pictures I'll post later and of course, when I get the sails and rig her up, the launch.  I also built a motor well under a 10.5" deck plate in the cockpit with a removeable motor mount so that the outboard can be stowed in a locker when under sail.  As you can see, I changed the cabin design around for a more traditional look as well.  I have some hemp rope on the way for running rigging, and lacing the sails on the masts.  I made some ash blocks for the main and mizzen sheets to add to the traditional looks.  Once I get these bits installed I'll post pics. 

post-1828-129497705904_thumb.jpg

post-1828-129497705907_thumb.jpg

post-1828-129497705914_thumb.jpg

post-1828-129497705921_thumb.jpg

post-1828-129497705932_thumb.jpg

post-1828-129497705941_thumb.jpg

What's this? I thought all Belhavens were YELLOW :eek: :eek: If you want the traditional look, there is, or was only 1 Belhaven finished to my knowledge and it was yellow. So if it's going to be traditional it must be yellow. :grin:

I can't wait to see her rigged out under sail. So keep the pic's coming!!

Good luck and hope you have as much fun with your Belhaven as we have.

Scott

Very nice job, Gman :).  Re: the lacing of sails to masts; how will you account for the lacing dropping past the snotter attachment on the mast when you reef the sails?  I had laced sails on a 17' catketch years ago and loved it, but the sails had standard booms on them.

Thanks for all the kind words!  As far as lace on, I believe that I will reef down to the top of the sprit and tie off the reef lines around the sprit.  It will all be an experiment as this is the first sprit rigged boat I've owned.  Also I suppose in addition, I could ease the cringle downhaul and reef the portion of the sail below the sprit as well.  Once on the water I should have an opportunity to have a play with it. 

Congrats GMan!!  I am #44 and am about to go 3D with my build. It is encouraging to see yours so beautifully done, and so traditional looking. One year, too! That is impressive.

Please keep the pictures coming as I have much to learn about this build, and pictures DO speak a thousand words.

Kyle

I really like your anchor well setup. I have been wanting to change mine to something like what you have done with the addition of a anchor spirit with a roller. Also the anchor could be cleated off when underway. The anchor can become a chore to pull up and clean off without banging against the sides of the hull.

Scott