River trip

Scott Dunsworth

I took my Belhaven on a 9 day river trip with a total of 256 miles last week. Jerry C. that is building a Belhaven came along for the trip. Also Don and his wife ( the fisherman from last years messabout) Went with us with his Catalina 22. We put in at Grandview IN on the Ohio river and sailed to Kentucky lake. Sailed or motorsailed most of the way with wind on our nose. When we reached Ky lake for the last three days it was dead calm. One day I flew all three sails and got 3 mph for about an hour. We had a good time even without wind but I was hoping for good wind to let Jerry get a fill for the boat he's building.

The last day we got good but sad sailing and it was short as we were heading for the ramp to take out.

I love my extended outtings with my Belhaven. I wouldn't want to take real long cruse with two people on a 19 foot boat but by myself I could easily do 2 months. In fact I could spend all winter in south Florida( if I wasn't married).

Anyway it was a great trip and Jerry was a good deck hand :).

I will not be able to attend this years messabout but I'll be there in spirit. Have fun, there be a lot of great people there. Including the greatest hosts I've ever known.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Scott,

Nice photos. The yellow Belhaven looks really nice and it appears you had a good trip. It appears the Catalina is one of the pop-top types you were discussing in the other thread. Was that the one you fixed up?

When are you going to bring that boat down here to Alabama and the "Redneck Riviera" for a visit/sail?

Steve

Steve that's her, he ended up with more in it than you can fine one in good shape for. But He didn't skimp on anything and we tried to do everything the best we could. We sanded the whole hull and decks, sprayed epoxy primer then two part paint. He replace all the rub rails and a lot of stainless stuff. Added a nice swim ladder, stainless Bimini and replaced some standing rigging. All new interior cushions and completely rewired the boat from scratch. Ground off the bottom paint and repainted all this and a load of trailer stuff. He has just about got as new Catalina.

Thanks for the complement, but I think yellow always looks good on the water no matter what boat it's on. :grin:

Maybe someday I'll get down that way.

Scott