New Greenland Paddle

Kudzu

A few weeks ago I broke my favorite paddle. I used some questionable wood but I had paddled with it for a long time and decided it wasn't going to break. Of course that is when it did.  So time to build a new one.

The local lumber yard had nothing in the way of suitable wood and I mean nothing.  I scoured the shop for the cutoffs. Good Western Red Cedar (WRC) is so hard to find that I save any cutoffs from any paddles I make. I scrounged around and finally found enough to glue up a blank.I decided to add an accent strip of maple between the laminations.

Imgp7103.jpg

width=487 height=650http://www.kudzucraft.com/images/paddle-building/Imgp7107.jpg[/img]

Next I move the bandsaw and start to trim off the excess wood.

width=487 height=650http://www.kudzucraft.com/images/paddle-building/Imgp7111.jpg[/img]

Then I start shaping the blades. I use a variety of tools, starting with a scrub plane and rasp to rough out the shape.Then a block plane to refine it some.

Imgp7113.jpg

You can see the oval shape of the paddle starting to take shape.

Imgp7127.jpg

There is just a lot of sanding left at this point. Maybe a little bit of planning with the blade set for a very fine cut to even out any rough spots.

After a coat of varnish.

Imgp7133.jpg

Imgp7134.jpg