Atkin Economy Jane- opinions wanted

holzboat

My 14 yr. old son presently has a Bolger Chebacco that was generously donated to him but he wants something with "REAL" accomodations.  I'd like something that I can complete before he's an old man. We both like the look of EJ. Not too big and not too small. He regularly races go fast boat so this doesn't have to be a rocket ship by any stretch. Mostly local cruises, weekends and maybe a week once a summer with one of his friends.

As with most of the Atkins plans sets, you will need to be an experienced builder or you'll want for much more detail. I'd prefer the original version for sailing abilities, though both will be initially tender (the wider, slightly less the the original) and both will have similar accommodations. It's a heavy boat as 19' LWL boats go, but this also affords internal volume for camping and stowing gear.

If a concerted effort was made to build light, possibly with taped seam techniques, her ballast ratio could rise dramatically, which would help her tenderness. Naturally, some revamping of her scantlings would be necessary for this, but worth the effort in material savings, build effort and sailing performance.

These are the layout and lines of the original EJ.

EconomyJane-3.gif

EconomyJane-2.gif

I like the layout of the wider boat more than the original and I think the wider boats lines are more appealing. I was thinking of plank on frame as I've got a pretty good size pile of salvaged Long Leaf Yellow Pine and Alaskan Yellow Cedar. I've also built dozens of plank on frame boats in the past 30 years. A cold molded/ composite boat would be nice but it would require a bit more climate control. My shop takes many hours to warm up enough to be able to glue in the winter. I guess what I'd really like to know is would this boat be worth the effort? I'd hate to spend many hundreds of hours building a boat that turned out to be a letdown.

The accommodations can be the same for both versions, with a small galley to port. The foot well will be a little tighter.

Only you will be able to truly evaluate the project. It's your SOR or design brief that has to be satisfied, so some sole searching, list making or what ever it takes is in order. With your building experience, the plans and project should be relatively simple. The narrower version will be very easy to plank.

I'm open to other suggestions also. I'm leaning toward plank on frame because I'm fairly experienced with it and it can be done without waiting for the shop to warm up and for lots of glue to dry. I've also got 30 years worth of lumber and fastenings to pick through which should help keep costs under control.

Alden's 21' double ender is very appealing but I like the simplicity of EJ's rig. I also think it would be a more expensive boat to build than EJ.  He would like to avoid a CB trunk in the cabin and I'd like to not exceed 3' draft due to local conditions. These both happen to be double enders but I have no aversion to transom sterned boats.

400001a.gif

Again the fatter boat will be a more difficult boat to plank, but not overly so, I've seen worse. The narrower boat will also sail better, though it will be initially tender as I mentioned. This is a common trait of older designs, as sailing skills where different over half a century ago. These slack bilged designs do flop over relatively easily, especially compared to modern sailors, but then they firm up quickly and become quite stiff. The wider version would be marginally less tender, but it's still very slack bilged so she'll have the same manners. She'll be stately and secure, once you get over the preconceived notions of your modern boat experiences. She will track like a freight train and will not be especially "crisp" in maneuvers. Her motion will be easy and much less "corky" compared to a modern boat. This is where her weight will help, as it will in a rough slosh or storms. You will feel comfortable and confidant in a boat like this, but it will take time to get used to her quirks.

• Like 1