Checking in

Mark Gudschinsky

Hi Frank and all,

Frank's reminder reminded us that it's been a while since the Alaskan Harding Lake checked in. So here's a bit of catching up.

Our Weekender The Flyer gets most of the work over the summer, and after seven years (Holy cow! It can't be that long can it?) she is still going strong. Other than changing hardware to Harkin and other real sailing fittings a while back, she is still sound and doing well. I must also extend a complement to the sails we bought through the Stevenson's site. they're still near pristein and preforming well.

Alexander's Swimmer (look on the Stevenson's website under Amphoras http://www.stevproj.com/OtherBBB.html ) still is an eye catcher and gets regular outings. One point of experience we gained from Swimmer is a person might want to consider growth of the captian and crew as a boat designed is chosen. If you take a look at Swimmer and crew on Stevensons web site, they fit nicely in the hull.In the intervining years though the captin has grown a bit. He's 6'2" and weighs 215 pounds.  Launching no longer requires dad.

Laura's Skipjack Skipper is idle often just becaust when the wind is up I'll launch The Flyer, and people tend to pile in. We're going to have to make an effort to put a few more sea miles under her next summer.

For now, all three boats were pulled out a few weeks back, and have been bundeled up for our long winter. Flyer may get a refit before spring though. I'm planning taking some time off work. She needs some paint and polish, and I'll probably need something constructive to do.

Great to hear from you Mark.  Been wondering just how all three boats have been holding up.  Kits grow older and more experience and interests.  Often at the expense of earlier interests.  Boats can be a huge part of their life and continue on thru their lives if we can just keep them involved.  Sounts like it is time for a larger boat?

Great to hear from you Mark.  Been wondering just how all three boats have been holding up.  Kits grow older and more experience and interests.  Often at the expense of earlier interests.  Boats can be a huge part of their life and continue on thru their lives if we can just keep them involved.   Sounts like it is time for a larger boat?

I have found that while kids move along, some of the memories of what took place never moves along though. I bet that will be the case for some of these guys.

Good to hear from you, Mark. Glad to hear all is well on the northern frontier.

Those times with the kids are great, but there are always new opportunities to make more memories. My son (34 years old) and I try to have new sailing experiences every chance we get and we have been successful for the most part.

Keep on with the sailing adventures as best you can. I know it's hard where the water turns to ice early in the fall and stays that way all winter.

Steve