Travel to Puget Sound, WA

ecgossett

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday I made it out to the Cama Beach @ Camano Island "Small Boats Saturady" which was a lot of fun.

Thanks go out to, Randy Jones who was kind enough to invite me to the event, and take me for a ride in his CS17 hull #157 which many of you have seen photos of built by Jan Nicoliasen. I learned some anchoring techniques under sail, and how to sail a cat-ketch.

I enjoyed the ride and got some ideas for improvements on my boat under construction. Some things I'm looking are:

1) on the forward seat bringing it aft, and slightly longer to make it more comfortable to sit against the forward deck.

2) Lengthening the booms to be able to better adjust the sail.

3) Instead of fixed cam cleats, having Hobie Cat style rotating cleats.

4) Not using the flush forward hatch I had planned on as getting it leak proof is hard.

Optionally:

1) I'm going to look into either doing a hatch in the after part of the forward deck or removing the middle of it and bracing around. It would be nice to not have to climb on the deck for adjusting forward mast/sails or playing with anchor.

If anyone is curious, there were about 30 boats in attendance at a gathering hosted by the center for wooden boats. There are photos at woodenboat.com on their misc. boat related forum under "cwb's small boats Saturday, at Cama Beach".  A broad mix of small boats were represented including one CS17 and several very cool glued lapstrake double-ended things with giant balanced lug sails.   

Edward,  I'm glad you could make it.  Keep in mind that my boat varies from the standard CS17 plans but I'm not sure where as I didn't build her, don't have the plans, and have never seen another CS17 up here in the wilderness of the pacific northwest.

• 2 weeks later...