new standing rigging, new turnbuckles, and some questions

markfitz

We started making the "real" rigging for the weekender this week and I have a dumb question.  We bought some SS turnbuckles from Duckworks http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/rigging/rl335/index.htm and they have a little hole in the center.  Originally I was thinking I could stick something through the hole to tension the turnbuckle because they are pretty slippery and not octogonal like the hardware store stuff.  But then I read that it's for safety wire to keep it from turning, but I figured that's what the lock nuts were for.   So how the heck are you supposed to tighten and loosen these things?  And what is that hole for anyway?  The other thing we realized is that if the turnbuckle mounts right on the chainplate, we no longer have the means to fasten the blocks needed for the peak halyard and the jib clubfoot.  How is that normally handled?  Thanks again.

Originally I was thinking I could stick something through the hole to tension the turnbuckle because they are pretty slippery and not octogonal like the hardware store stuff.  

That is what the hole is for.  It is the open turnbuckles with holes in the threaded pieces that are for cotter pins for locking them.

A lot of people will install fairleads on the deck for the jib sheet.  Personally, I like having my blocks attached to my turnbuckles - less holes in the deck.

If you have a thimble on the shrouds though, you should be able to put a quick-link or shackle there and just move your blocks up.