B & B Mess-about 2010

Designer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oyster is right, you don't really need a chart to sail around here as it is a very benign place for sailing. If you want to sail a bit further it is good to have NOAA chart # 11548. It is a great chart with at least as much character as a good Maine chart running across the sound to Ocracoke, down to Core Sound and up to Belhaven and around to Oriental.

That's the Bay river, not the Neuse. Coming in the Bay River, hang a right at marker '9' (4 sec. green). Look for a long 'T' shaped pier on the right. It will be the first one after the 'Punch Bowl'.

35 deg. 08' 56.36" N, 76 deg. 42' 36.27" W

Not knowing the location of the poster I replied to, the general area in a broader perspective for starters and  how I came to post the Neuse River in eastern N.C.

It looks like myself, Anna, and baby Isabella will be coming up for the Messabout that Friday afternoon/evening. I think we'd like to join you for dinner also, if there's room. We probably will not camp on-site due to the baby, and will likely get a motel/hotel (any recommendations for nearby places to stay?), but I'll certainly bring the CS20 and sail with you all on Saturday.

I haven't been on the forum for a while but I'm excited to be back in the states after some great adventuring and blue water sailing. The second annual North Carolina Challenge was a big hit and great fun racing with my dad again this year with enough rowing for class 4 to last us a while. For the time being I'm living in Asheville and doing some boat work for hire (what else?).

Anyway, count me in for the mess-about (and my first) along with my amazing girlfriend Taylor. We look forward to meeting and sailing with everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone wants to find us using their GPS they can use the street address 342 Chapel Creek Drive but they need to use Bayboro as the city.

One other problem is that the GIS information is wrong and your GPS will want you to turn onto Chapel Creek Drive about 500-600 yards too early. Just ignore it, follow my map and keep going on until you see the street sign and then turn.

There will be balloons tied to the sign posts from Lynch's Beach loop Road turn off to the messabout.

Arrrrrrghh.... very bad news: Anna, Bella, and I will not be coming after all. I'm one of three finalists who has been asked to draft a quality enhancement plan for improving education at our university over the next five years. The 30-page plan is due in just a few days, and I'm under a very tight time crunch so I can't afford to lose this weekend for working.

I apologize I won't make it. This will be three years in a row we were "sure" we would be coming, only to have our plans thwarted (last year was a car accident that put our towing vehicle out of commission). Maybe fourth time--next year--will be a charm?

Have fun and someone post pics so I can enjoy the event vicariously!

Arrrrrrghh.... very bad news: Anna, Bella, and I will not be coming after all. I'm one of three finalists who has been asked to draft a quality enhancement plan for improving education at our university over the next five years. The 30-page plan is due in just a few days, and I'm under a very tight time crunch so I can't afford to lose this weekend for working.

I apologize I won't make it. This will be three years in a row we were "sure" we would be coming, only to have our plans thwarted (last year was a car accident that put our towing vehicle out of commission). Maybe fourth time--next year--will be a charm?

Have fun and someone post pics so I can enjoy the event vicariously!

Total nonsense,,,, :-P Everyone knows that all good writers seek out solitude in some remote regions of the country to do their new York Times best sellers. So I see many advantages to seeking out the compound located in the remote regions of N.C. There are several coves in which to plant yourself for a few hours with free transport services provided by many diverse "spaceships" at your beckoning call, which will bring your both ways to your remote compound. :cool:

Of course there are numerous babysitters too around the place and lots of kids rides too to entertain one and all for your intermidiate family.