Rigging CS 20

Rob Blackburn

Well, have put the trailer to bed from last weeks postings. Got a bloke coming down to measure and make. Seems easiest. Have run past him the ideas etc and he is amenable.

Next I have to order the masts.

I have been doing searches on the subject of rigging in the forum and like the look of the luff pocket with the Gordy Hill rotating mast to reef the sail. Where do you put the locking pin to stop the mast rotating? Below deck level would be stronger ie lest likely to deform or am I missing something here?

First up though on the rigging sheet it says to use 3" x 0.065 for the thicker sections at the bottom, but on the "centreboard and aft mast step construction sheet" it indicates you should use 3"x 0.083....

What do people tend to go with?

Do you put in a mast tube in the mainmast position? A bigger bit of aluminum pipe? Or no mast tube at all? I can see no mention of a mast tube but I had one on my Norwalk Island Sharpie and just assume this does too so maybe I am wrong.

Rob Blackburn.

Richard,

Well New Zealand was on my cruising list actually. I was planning to head straight for Milford Sound on a long starboard reach later in the year and then head overland to Queenstown. (a la Ernest Shackleton at South Georgia)

The James Caird was not a lot bigger than the CS 20 (bit heavier build tho'). Shall have to deck it in and smear everything in seal and penguin blubber for authenticity first before we set off.

I have since found another sheet about building the mast tube out of glass in the bottom of my brief case so feel a bit foolish about that last part of my question.

Still not sure which way to go on the thickness of the aluminium mast walls. Have a welder mate looking into it for me.

Shall put up some photos as soon as I get something back.

Rob

Guest Anonymous

I have had trouble finding the 0.083 wall tubing. The 0.065 is available, but expensive. Once could save a few A$ by using 0.125 for the lower section; which would be plenty stiff of course and add some weight.

I also have a Laser and I suspect that a Laser mast is not a lot different. Shall have to measure it to see how thick the wall section is on the bottom section.

I don't think it would add much weight as a % of the total loaded boat if you did use a thicker section.

The jury is out at present

Rob