Not the best trip out.

markfitz

This is one of the spools.  It is UHMW poly sheet and solid UHMW poly rod.  The center is drilled out so that an eye bolt with a threaded shaft can be run thru it.  The flanges of the spool is compressed between the Eye on one end and a swivel is attached at the bottom.  The swivel then clips onto an eye in the bowsprit where it can turn.  The sail has a flat plate attached to the bottom of the luffwire and that is attached to the eye bolt on the top side of the spool.  It is simple and works smoothly.  The screw on the drum with an arrow pointing to it is to attach the furling line to the spool.

post-26-129497704011_thumb.jpg

post-26-12949770402_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for taking the time to take the pictures.  I appreciate it.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "flat plate" on the sail.  I assume there's some swivel at the top as well?  What does that consist of?  Just a purchased swivel like the ones duckworks sells, or something else?

http://www.thechandleryonline.com//product.asp?dept%5Fid=1735&pf%5Fid=151%5FHR2080

These swivels work just fine.  For both top and bottom swivels.

The Ronstan furling package is an excellent system as is the Harken small boat furling system.  Schaefer makes one as well as does RWO.  

All of these systems use a luff wire sewn into the sail.  The luff wire is terminated top and bottom with  an eye that is sewn into the sail.   The sailmaker that modified the lapper shown here used a simple flat strap that bolted to the eye and connected to the top eye of the spool.  This gave an absolute twisting to the sail and spool with no play between the two.  If you use a top swivel such as the one Duckworks sells, the spool has a wire that sticks out and attaches to the forestay that keeps the swivel stationary at the top.  This keeps the halyard from twisting with the luffwire.  In practice, we've had no issues with the swivels shown in the link.

I'll take some more detailed photos of the fittings and how they go together when I go over to the island later this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, thank you.  Makes perfect sense now.  Last time we were at the lake I was looking at some guy's sailboat and I think his was built with a furler from day one because it looked like his forestay was a hollow aluminum tube and it just spun the sail up.  

Thanks for the link.  Everything costs a fortune when you tack the word "marine" on to it, doesn't it?   :shock: