Lumber Storage & other assorted ?'s

timgoz

Hi,

I am a new forum member who plans on building a Dix Cape Henry 21.

At my workplace we have access to very nice Douglas Fir. Though I plan on waiting until right before I commence building to buy my marine ply, I would like to start accumulating select boards of D. Fir now.

We mainly use 2x12's so that is what I'll be storing. Dix recommends painting the ends as i thought he would. My question would be at what distance should I place centers (supports), how big should the centers be, and should I place them between each layer of boards. I will make sure the storage area is leveled out.

Also; what type of marine ply (3/8 inch) would you all recommend. I want the best I can obtain and am willing to pay whatever it takes.I do not believe in "false economy" as I am to poor to be cheap.

Thanks for any help you can give me on the above & have a good day.

Tim

Tim, if you're storing your 2 by stock outside then don't paint the ends, just let it adjust to it's environment until you decide to use it. If building (and cutting) in doors, then place the stock inside, several days before you mill it to dimension, so it can stabilize in the new environment. Sticker the stock every two of three feet. The precise amount doesn't matter, though make sure they all are the same thickness.

I can't remember where you are, but you'll want BS-1088 for your plywood, though BS-6566 can also be quite good. I'd recommend Okoume (Gaboon) for it's light weight. Meranti is an option, at a slightly lower price, but it's also 20% heavier (and stronger). There are a number of places to get good quality plywood around the country, where are you?

Thanks PAR,

I am located in SW Pennslyvania just above the West Virginia border at the edge of the first ridge of the Appalachin Mountains. Yesterday I got to inspect the building at my friends farm where I will construct my boat. The word "spacious" does not do it justice. I could construct, with ease, a 50 footer let alone my intended 21 foot boat. My lumber will be safe and dry.

I have obtained Dix's study plans (Cape Henry 21) but am still saving to obtain the full plans. There are some things I'd like your opinion on but do not have the time right now as work starts soon.

Have a good one and thanks for your help.

Tim

Ps. Where are you, Florida comes to mind?

Tim,

You may already know this, but when you rip the lumber down to usable size it is almost always going to end up a little bit bent.  That's not really a problem when buiding a boat, though.  In order to avoid having lumber that is REALLY twisted and warped avoid choosing boards that have the center of the tree (the pith) in them.

Thanks Ken,

At my job we use alot of 2x12 inch Douglas Fir. I have the luxury of choicing prime boards. The design I intend to build does not reqiure a whole lot of timber, so selecting enough choice timber for the build will be no problem.

a huge outbuilding on my friends farm has just been made available to me also. Things are working out nicely. Now to accumulate the needed $$$ to get things rolling.

Take care.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Tim, 

If the lumber your selecting and storing is already dry or kiln dried Doug Fir then you don't need to worry about painting the ends.  If its green lumber then you might want to do so.  Won't hurt anything in either case.  I use a waxy preservative on all the lumber that I mill and have air drying outside.  The name escapes me for now but it goes on looking white and is clear when it dries.  Any old paint will do though.

I use four stickers for lumber 8 to 10 feet long and would say spacing them perhaps 3' on long pieces would be good.  Keep the stickers lined up so the weight transfers down to the base or whatever your stacking on.  Yes, put them between each piece of lumber.

Good Luck,  Have fun.

Gary