Comments please on this type of reefing

Herschel Payne

I launched my new weekender almost 2 weeks ago and I've been sailing it everyday. I only have tarp sails and the winds were so strong yesterday that I think I found a way to reef that seemed to work and had the added benefit of raising the boom higher at the same time.

I lowered the first mast hoop and tied that part of the sail to the gooseneck bolt. Then I rolled up the sail at the aft end of the boom and tied the roll so that the leech started about 2 feet forward from the end of the boom. This also raised the boom at the same time.

It's probably not good technique ( Is it?) but it seemed to work and my wife was happy not getting hit in the head as much.

PS: Frank, that topping lift works ok but it seems to shape the sail in a scoop that can't be flattened. Thanks all.

When seated, the boom is low enough to make you realize why they call it a "boom".  A topping lift is designed to hold up the boom when the sail is being lowered so it doesn't fall into the cockpit.

Some people have increased the mast height and then moved the boom up a few inches for tacking without worrying about the boom.  But that's a lot of work to do.  We used the traditional announcements, "preparing to tack" when gathering speed off the wind, and then when the rudder goes over "coming about!

I think your method of reefing is OK.  You are reducing the amount of sail and if it works well for your situation, that's what matters.  Traditional reefing on a gaffer includes lowering the gaff and gathering the main on the boom across the whole foot of the sail.  Another method is "scandalizing" the sail by loosening just the peak halyard on the gaff to spill the wind from the topmost part of the sail.  I couldn't find a reference, but I seem to remember seeing reefing by reducing the luff of the sail before.

Herschel, congratulations on your launch. Always great to hear of another Weekender sailing along. I think you'll find ducking under the boom a better solution than the topping lift, over time, and Frank's note of scandalizing the main is a good way to effect a quick area change.

We hope to see pics and hear more soon!

Mike