Belhaven 19 sail # 44

Kyle H.

Hello from a new member ~ I have just purchased the Belhaven 19 plans and am looking forward to building this boat. I live in Nevada not too far from Lake Tahoe, but I primarily sail on the reservoirs here in Nevada.

I hope to be able to post questions after I receive and read through the plans. Much thanks ahead of time for answering my queries!

If there are any other Belhaven 19 builders near me, I would love to hear from you...or any other wood boat builders in my area. Somehow, a high desert setting does not lend itself to building structures that need water for propulsion!

Nice to meet you all,

Kyle

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool to know there's another Belhaven builder though we're half-a-world apart.

I recently acquired the building rights to Belhaven Hull #30 and I'm currently stocking up on the materials. I have all the plywood I need but I'm giving myself a month to clear my building area which means finishing a long-idled canoe build and making a shed for my Weekender.

I will be following your progress with the greatest of interest as I know you will most probably start ahead. Pictures of course will be highly appreciated if not begged for.

Rolando

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear from you Rolando. Sounds like we will be close to the same time table, so we can bounce ideas off of each other.

The plywood arrives today, and the other supplies are slowly creeping in as time and finances allow. Carla has been very helpful in helping iron out some bugs that this new builder has...question, questions, questions! There is so much to ponder and new challenges to tackle.

This looks to be such a great boat for my needs, after pondering a small number of them for awhile. I hope that I can do Graham's design proud.

Kyle

Kyle you will enjoy this boat a great deal. She sails very great under the control of a experanced sailor and good even with me at the tiller. At the last B&B messabout Brent took the tiller and made my boat preform like I haddnt seen her. Up to that point I was satisfied with my sailing. Brent changed that, everytime I am out with her now I try to improve my sailing.

I will send you Phone number if you have any questions.

I have been doing my yearly varnish recoat, here are a few pics.post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-192-129497703897_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Kyle my email is down. But the question you had on head room is 53 inchs at the highest point. There is plenty of head room for seating. I had a 6'2" fellow set on the v berth seat without any trouble.

Also if you need anything you can call me. I am leaving on a two week river trip next week from my home port to Tennesse.

So if you call after 7 my time I'll be at anchor. There is another Belhaven builder that may be coming along for some of that trip. So call early enough that the rum won't influance my answers. :D

Scott

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went 3D today. Had eight of us, and very helpful to have such wonderful neighbors, especially one on the small side and another with loonngggg arms!!  Still need to fit the transom and bulkhead #1, but we are on the way!

Thanks for the thoughtful call, Scott. You are a sweetie!! AND you were the first to know that we went 3D.

Kyle

• 3 months later...

Just an update since I have not posted for some time. The Belhaven is tucked away in the garage and waiting for my shoulder to heal from surgery. Years of kayaking and swimming and playing hard finally took its toll, and my rotator cuff tore. I hope to be back at #44 soon. I presently am in an arm sling, but plan to have a neighbor come by this weekend to help with the lead molds for the keel, bilge keel and the centerboard. Scott's friend Jerry graciously lent me the bilge keel mold he made, and I am looking forward to plaster of Paris fun soon for the main keel mold. A local welder will be hired to melt and pour the lead I have collected.

#44 sits patiently waiting for her next addition, the inside keel batten. It is cut and ready to go. All inside seams are filleted and taped. Sails were ordered in November from Carla. Ports and escape hatch have arrived. Centerboard has been cut out and just needs fairing. Awaiting hardware for the centerboard from Graham and Carla. All systems are go!! :D

Kyle

Thanks Norm and Peter P. I have managed to make it to day 17 with only Advil occasionally now. It feels great to have less pain and more passive movement. Although it is still a long haul, it is so nice to know that only healing and better use of this arm will be in my future! :D

Kyle #44

• 1 month later...

Hi All ~ Shoulder is recovering nicely and I am back with my build again.

I am looking at the Bulkheads sheet on my plans and notice that there are no dimensions for the cockpit side starboard side. The port side has measurements, but the starboard side is different by a bit.

Anyone have an answer for me for dimensions?

Much thanks!

Kyle #44

Kyle,

It is good to hear that you are feeling well enough to get back at it again.

I had left that curve up to the builder so that he could adjust the starboard cockpit side to fit the boat "as built". It is not a bad idea to have a guide so here are the measurements.post-127-0-98875100-1301872284_thumb.jpg

Kyle,

It is good to hear that you are feeling well enough to get back at it again.

I had left that curve up to the builder so that he could adjust the starboard cockpit side to fit the boat "as built". It is not a bad idea to have a guide so here are the measurements.[attachment=6222.jpg]

Thanks Graham! That is exactly what I needed. :D

Just finished cutting out the two Bulkhead #2's and should be installing them someday this week after work. I am planning on installing Bulkheads #2, then the centerboard case, then Bulkheads #3. Does anyone see any problem with this order?

Much thanks for the assistance.

Kyle #44

Another question on the plans: the layout sheet specifies number 17 as Bulkhead #4. I do not see this in the plans, unless it is the bulkhead (?) that is on the starboard side 15' 4 3/8" back from the bow, shown on the Hull Construction Plan sheet.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Kyle #44