probable dumb question on reefing

markfitz

our purchased weekender sails don't have any reef points -- is it possible to add those after the fact?  I assume I would have to figure out where they needed to be and then take the sail somewhere to be modified?  I searched around here for the topic and every time I got my hopes up, the links were broken.  Thanks!

I put reef points on my tarp sail about 2 feet up from the bottom.  I put an "X" of tarp tape on each side of the sail and hammered a grommet into the middle.  Short pieces of 1/4" line are sticking out of each with knots to hold them in place.

Seemed to work OK for me - but I'm not too fussy about appearances.

Thanks guys -- yeah, they're dacron and I don't feel confident trying to do it myself, but I'm glad to know it's possible.  Thanks for the book offer, Tim, but I think we'll probably just drop them off somewhere this winter.   We went out again yesterday and it was sooo still.  Good practice setting up and tearing down though!   So far the hardest thing has been keeping the bowsprit from ramming the dock, and climbing back in the boat after you jump out.   I thought I was going to have to tow my father around for an hour because the rope ladder wasn't cutting it!