Thoughts on Dix Cape Henry 21

timgoz

Nice looking boat, but Dix has some great designs, so that's no surprise.  Here's the link to the spec page for others who want to look at it, and a cut-away rendering:

ch21%203Dcutaway.jpg

Is it a bit heavy at 3200# displacement?  The similarly sized Princess Sharpie 22 is 1900#, almost half the weight.  That may be a factor depending on how you'll tow it (you probably need to add 400# or so for gear and equipment, and the weight of the trailer, for total towing weight). 

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I intend to build a Cape Henry 21 and am interested in what any of you who are familiar with the design might have to say.

Thanks, and have a good day.

Tim

No first hand experience, but if you are interested in this boat, there was a very good series in several issues on building & sailing in Watercraft Magazine. I don't know all the issues, but #80 (April 2010) is in front of me and that had the final building and sailing report. WoodenBoat 214 (June 2010) also had a sailing report. It looks like an impressive boat.

@Frank... 3200lbs looks like the cruising displacement, not the trailer weight (lightship displacement of the cape henry is around 2500)

chris

• 8 months later...