Spindrift 10n

I have 46 hours in her so far. I estimate another 40 to finish. Hopefully I can make a quality boat within 100 hours max.

She is glassed on the bottom and the keel is installed. The customer wants the inside floor glassed so that will take a bit of time. I have the trunk to install and a few small items, then more sanding and sanding. Hope to be painting after next weekend.

I have built a Belhaven, two spindrift 12's, Penoscot 14, restored a Catalina 22 and 1951 runabout and this has been the most fun of all!! Don't know why but it has.

The owner sold his house and is taking off crusing for a year or forever which ever his wife says comes first! :lol:

I think the 10n will make him a nice dingy.

I have a few pics of her

post-192-129497702564_thumb.jpg

post-192-129497702573_thumb.jpg

I have 46 hours in her so far. I estimate another 40 to finish. Hopefully I can make a quality boat within 100 hours max............ I think the 10n will make him a nice dingy.

You are a lot faster than me if you do it in 100 hours.

I know the 10N will make him a nice dinghy.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Painted the hull burgany two weeks ago and rolled the anti slip on the bottom tonight. Tomorrow I will spray the inside first coat and the last on Thursday. Then bottom paint over the weekend and she will be 99% done.

My brother is getting very inpatient waiting on her. He leaves on a planned year cruse on the 4th of November. she should make him a wonderful dingy. I double and triple glassed all chines and glassed

the inside floor because he is unbelievably rough on everything.

Should have a finish pic late next week sometime.

Scott

Finished the painting on the inside today. I really love the Epifanes 2 part poly as long as I don't try to put it on to heavy it flows great and is dust free pretty quick. But there has to be something cheaper than $60 for almost a quart.

I have a 28 foot cabin cruiser to paint this winter and think I'll try Allgrip. If I could find Epifanes in gallons I would stick with it on bigger projects.

Hope to spray the VC proformace on the bottom early this week.

I can't believe I'm saying this but after spraying the Epifanes burgany on this dink, I think I would have used it on my Belhaven and not yellow. It is without a doubt the pretties paint I have seen on a boat. You can see yourself in the paint. Like Tom L. varnish on his lapwing.  I have a 1940 to 1950 Tomson runabout that I am restoring that will be that color for sure.

This Is my finest boat so far, If I build 20 more just maybe I'll be as good as Tom L.,Charlie and Ray.

Scott

Please forgive me for the spelling, when I hit spell-check it usually says HUUUU!

Here are a few pic's. My brother was in to big of a hurry to let me spray the bottom paint, so he's going to roll it this week. The bottom paint will come up to the burgany. The center seat is in my sunroom drying.

The pic's really don't give the color justest. I should have taken it outside. It looks red in the pic.

So I send this dink off on it's own,post-0-129497639507_thumb.jpg

post-192-129497705763_thumb.jpg

post-192-129497705769_thumb.jpg

post-192-129497705777_thumb.jpg

post-192-129497705783_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I told you all that my brother was rough on things. Well earlier today I heard that he busted a seam on his spindrift. I worried all day about it, was something I did or what :sad:!!!!!! I got to talk to him a few minutes ago and to my relieve it was not the design or the builder. He broke lose a 4" section of seam on the front seat in the v near the bulkhead. Probably the strongest part of the whole boat!

I worried all day for nothing. Come to find out he was dodging a barge on the Mississippi and hit a channel marker, then the dink bounced off the buoy also.

With the currant he has be doing 7 to 11 mph on his trip to the Gulf. Took a chunk out of the rub rail also.

I know now that anything I build for this brother I should forget plain weave fiberglass tape and move up to bi axle or triaxle cloth, along with a steel keel and stem!!! :-)

Hope he lives through this Mississippi river part of his adventure.

Scott

Your brother must be much like mine- if there's something on a boat to break he'll find it. He's even proud of it. Ever since he was shipwrecked on a voyage to New Zealand in 1971 when he had to swim the last 2 miles his byline is "I've wrecked bigger boats than this"  :shock:

Brief summary of the ill fated voyage here

http://www.donhammondimage.co.nz/SHIPWRECK-Pages/ENDEAVOURII.htm

Cheers

Peter HK

I guess I should have said that he's towing the dink all the way to the Gulf when bounced it off a buoy. He's been using the heck out of this little boat, hauling fuel and all his lard around to get supplies on a un marina friendly river. Leaving his mother ship anchored in the river, running into little towns along the way.

I'll have to buy rights to one of these little boats for my 25' cruiser.

Glad this ones not mine.  :grin: As Captain Ron said about running aground ( or running into something ) not my boat , the boss's boat!!