Firefly * A modern Baidarka

Kudzu

I have been busy working on the final details and plans for this Baidarka inspired boat. I have been fascinated by the Baidarka for a long time but I knew that not many people want a small low stability craft.  Plus there are other things about a true Baidarka that would not be popular today. For a year of more I have tried numerous versions but I never seemed to find a good combination of hull design. I finally hit on a combination of good stability and good performance.

Then I started working on making the boat more comfortable. Larger cockpit, more footroom, etc.  I decided to do a different stern on boat that is more modern than the original.  Assuming the numbers are accurate and there are no surprises, this boat should be almost as fast as Long Shot and little more stable. The two boats should be very similar.

I had a client ask me to build him a Long Shot. Since I had the Firefly design almost finished I showed it to him not expecting him to be interested. However, we struck a deal and I expect to start cutting frames latter this week. After lake trials and assuming no surprises the plans will be available shortly.

firefly.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Took her to the water for a quick spin this morning. I didn't spend but just a few minutes in it but I was impressed! I really like the way this boat paddled. I wouldn't mind keeping it for myself honestly! But that isn't going to happen. Coy was just in love with his new boat!

Here is a link to a few photos I snapped last night of Coy and his new boat.

Coys first paddle

These are some I took earlier on the test paddle before I meet  him.

firefly-1.jpg

firefly-2.jpg

firefly-3.jpg

firefly-4.jpg